Fios G3100 with gigabit (no STB/cable) not working with any repeater/extender, how to extend range?
IsG3100Busted

I have Fios Gigabit with a G3100 router and no TV/cable/STB though I do have coax in the house. The G3100 is in the basement and connected to the ONT via ethernet. I have tried to set up a TP -Link RE650 repeater/extender which cannot seem to connect to the G3100 at all despite disabling SON, disabling 5ghz and attempting to link the repeater to solely the 2.4ghz channel, and/or restarting the whole kit several times. 

I had the same problem with a netgear extender as well, though this did seem to work with my older G1100 previously it does not connect to the G3100. 

My house is a ~2500 sq feet split level so I'm hoping that just one extender/repeater node/mechanism would suffice. 

1. What can I do to connect my TPlink repeater/extender to the G3100?

2. If I cannot use a repeater, can I get an E3200 extender and connect it to the coax in the house for Moca backhaul? If not what would the maximum speed be if I only do a wireless backhaul?

3. Is there a way to set up a mesh network (like an Eero) by connecting the Mesh router directly to the ONT via ethernet instead of all of the above? Would this necessitate the mesh nodes all having wireless backhaul or is there a way to set this up with the coax in the house connected to the router via Moca?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios G3100 with gigabit (no STB/cable) not working with any repeater/extender, how to extend ran
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

For G3100, you cannot connect a wireless repeater/extender to it unless the extender is E3200 or WCB6200Q (Actiontec brand).

For third party repeaters and extenders, you need an Ethernet or MoCA backhaul in between.

E3200 is meant to be connected to G3100 via MoCA. This is the intended setup.

Mesh WiFi is, in my opinion, is the least preferred setup. Fiber is better than twisted pairs, twisted pairs are better than coaxial cable, coaxial cable, well, is better than no wire at all (i.e. WiFi). MoCA 2.5 supports 2.5Gbps throughput.

G1100 can be connected to G3100 on MoCA too. You can use G1100 as an extender and disable the functions that would make it a router.

View solution in original post

Re: Fios G3100 with gigabit (no STB/cable) not working with any repeater/extender, how to extend ran
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

For G3100, you cannot connect a wireless repeater/extender to it unless the extender is E3200 or WCB6200Q (Actiontec brand).

For third party repeaters and extenders, you need an Ethernet or MoCA backhaul in between.

E3200 is meant to be connected to G3100 via MoCA. This is the intended setup.

Mesh WiFi is, in my opinion, is the least preferred setup. Fiber is better than twisted pairs, twisted pairs are better than coaxial cable, coaxial cable, well, is better than no wire at all (i.e. WiFi). MoCA 2.5 supports 2.5Gbps throughput.

G1100 can be connected to G3100 on MoCA too. You can use G1100 as an extender and disable the functions that would make it a router.