Fios Installation Questions
Patchworks

Hey everybody!

I just ordered Fios after receiving 300 flyers in the mail and double checking that my apartment complex was actually able to "receive" Fios.  

My apartment comes with free basic television.  We receive this through a Coax cable which feeds into the cable box. It also comes with internet, which we receive through a ethernet port which is right above the coax port in the wall.

I've heard conflicting things about installation, where sometimes the tech can run the ONT from the main data/com closet and just connect into your apartments wires, thus bypassing any drilling or any modifications, and i've heard that you should run anything above 100mbps through ethernet instead of coax.

My question is, is there any way for me to avoid having the tech drill in cables or any modifications to the property that the property manager might not be okay with?

The only thing i've ordered is the 300/300 mbps internet.  No TV or phone.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Fios Installation Questions
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Doubtful.

Feed to ONT is fiber.
That cable would have to be run to your apartment.

Does landlord allow you to contract with other providers?

0 Likes
Patchworks

Our contract says nothing about not contracting with other providers, it just says that internet is provided via x company and that's it.

I understand the feed to the ONT is fiber, but can you not run the fiber from outside > ONT > Ethernet > Router?  As in keep my ONT in the data / com closet and run the ethernet from it to my ethernet plug that exists in the apartment?  We have access to the data / com closet so I can't see why this would be a huge problem

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

That should work.

It becomes an issue between you and your landlord.
And who owns the ethernet cable.

0 Likes