Fios Installation via phone jack??
cmwillison

We have ordered the Triple Play since we just got a new HD TV.  We live in a high rise condo and the building was wired for FIOS a year ago.  The installer is in our apartment with my husband and is hooking everything up to an existing phone jack --not the coax cable where the comcast cable internet is running now . Any idea why?  We have Comcast cable TV and cable internet currently and verizon home phone service. 

I specifically did not want DSL which runs over the existing phone wiring.  The phone jack is on an opposite was and the coax cable jack is right near the PC so he' s running a long cord to the phone jack around the edge of the room.  This makes no sense. 

0 Likes
Re: Fios Installation via phone jack??
VZ_Brian
Contributor - Level 2

It depends on the setup of the building, but this can be normal.  Basically you will be on Fiber Optics from our office up to the main service room in your building.  At that point, Verizon is most likely using the existing phone wiring (up to your apt) to run your signal, and will use a vDSL modem in your apartment to distribute your service. 

0 Likes
Re: Fios Installation via phone jack??
cmwillison

So how is this better than DSL?  Will I have interference on the line when trying to make voice calls? Will there be a Optical Network Terminal (ONT) inside our unit as referenced in all of the FIOS FAQs? 

I just don't understand how this will work based on all of the the explanations of equipment placement here: http://www22.verizon.com/Residential/FiOSInternet/Installation/Installation.htm

Presuming we decide we can live with this, can we get the phone jack moved so it is on a wall located near the PC?  Part of the reason we got cable instead of DSL in our apt was because the placement of phones jacks is is on the opposite wall where the TV and the computer is located in each room.  I just can't see living with an exposed  phone line trailed along the wall along the edge of the room.

What any other potential downsides to this type of installation setup where it runs across existing phone lines?

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes