Fios Internet Only + Orbi RBK50 System
dnonnema
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been struggling trying to get my brand new Netgear Orbi system to get an IP Address from the Fios ONT.

Since I'm not using anything but Fios Internet, I've taken the Quantum G1100 that was installed by the Verizon tech guy out of the equation.

I was on the phone with Verizon today, they reset my ONT.  I did a factory reset on the Orbi, plugged the ethernet cord into the yellow Internet port on the Orbi, but still have no internet connectivity through the Orbi.

I spent a couple hours on the phone with the Netgear support people yesterday, and they punted me to the Verizon people.

Most of the posts I've seen on this board related to my problem are at least a year old.

Has anyone recently (2019) got their Orbi to work with a Fios Internet only (ethernet cord directly from ONT to Orbi).  I suspect the answer is yes, as Verizon sells this Orbi unit.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios Internet Only + Orbi RBK50 System
dnonnema
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, after 3 hours or so on the line with Netgear, another 2 hours of my own troubleshooting, and another 45 minutes with Fios support, I have a solution.

The netgear guy called me back and had me update the firmware on the Orbi.  

That was it.  

Nothing else required.

The 6 or 7 Netgear people I spoke to before this guy told me not to worry about the firmware.  Lesson learned.

Everything works perfectly.  the Fios speed is so good going through the G1100, I'm just going to leave it connected.  Thanks everyone for your help.

View solution in original post

dnonnema
Enthusiast - Level 2

Related to above, the Netgear tech people I'm talking to have asked me to do a factory reset on the ONT.

1) is this possible?

2) If I can do this, is it advisable?  

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@dnonnema wrote:

Related to above, the Netgear tech people I'm talking to have asked me to do a factory reset on the ONT.

1) is this possible?

2) If I can do this, is it advisable?  

Fios can reset your ONT and probably already have done so per your first posting.

when you purchased your Orbi was it from Netgear or did you get the watered down version from Verizon? 

one has different firmware. That's why I ask.

is your internet setup ethernet? It will not function via coaxial (MOCA) so did you ask verizon to swap you to ethernet? 

its pretty simple to set up with your ethernet to the Orbi it should receive DNS and from there follow the written instructions to continue your setup.

dnonnema
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks.   Orbi came from Netgear, and my house has Cat5 wiring throughout, so there is no Coax.

Fios guy wired ONT directly to ethernet cable in basement, which goes to an ethernet jack upstairs.

An ethernet connection directly from the jack to a laptop gives me great internet connection.  When I plug same ethernet into orbi Internet port, i get nothing.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

You have plugged it into the WAN port of the Orbi?

as you are aware the Orbi is a router which has expansion capabilities.

if you are using only the Orbi and nothing else, the system would be.

ONT-Ethernet cable to Orbi WAN-extenders then get IP address for expansion.

I use Netgear routers but not the Orbi and they are not the greatest with tech support.

could be a bad unit. Since you have connectivity without the Orbi I would say it's the Orbi that is bad.

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/

however from this link above it is saying you need a modem/gateway to use it. 

and of course here is the manuals 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/orbi.aspx

dnonnema
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, ONT==>ethernet==>yellow Internet port on orbi.

Waiting on call back from Netgear people.  Will dump this thing back in the mail to them if they can't figure this out in short order.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you're unplugging your G1100 to switch out to the Orbi, make sure you are performing a DHCP Release on your FiOS Router's WAN Connection. Otherwise it takes two hours of your connection being down before Verizon will give your Orbi system an IP address. Resetting your ONT doesn't release the IP Address - it's not the ONT which controls this.

jonjones1
Legend

Smith6612 made a great point I overlooked . in the release but I suspect this is why Netgear makes the Orbi for verizon fios use. It is supposed to be simple plug and play..

Netgear makes a nice product(s) but have terrible tech support. 

dnonnema
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, after 3 hours or so on the line with Netgear, another 2 hours of my own troubleshooting, and another 45 minutes with Fios support, I have a solution.

The netgear guy called me back and had me update the firmware on the Orbi.  

That was it.  

Nothing else required.

The 6 or 7 Netgear people I spoke to before this guy told me not to worry about the firmware.  Lesson learned.

Everything works perfectly.  the Fios speed is so good going through the G1100, I'm just going to leave it connected.  Thanks everyone for your help.

internetkyahain

I have the same exact frustrating problem. Did you end up returning the G1100? I want to get rid of the G1100 and successfully add the Orbi using the Ethernet connection from ONT. How did you manage to upgrade the firmware on the Orbi when it was not receiving the internet in the first place? 

0 Likes