Re: Fios Internet Tanks
bangorme
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks.  No, I don't have more than one ActionTec on the line.  I have a coax coming into my room, I have a bidirectional splitter off that cable.  One side goes to my fios TV box, the other to the Actiontec.  The Actiontec is then connected to my computer via a short ethernet line.  This worked perfectly until yesterday afternoon and I had made no changes to either the hardware or senttings

I can't really get more complicated as I don't "officially" have access to the router and don't own the fios service.

0 Likes
bangorme
Enthusiast - Level 3

@lasagna wrote:

I've had my unit now for about a year and it works great ... while it's certainly possible you got a bad one, I just think it's worth ruling out the cable plant before you have to wait out a product exchange only to find out that there's something going on with the local cable plant -- for instance, I had someone complain about service being disrupted every evening when their son came home and went to watch TV -- turned out he had a DVD recorder hooked up the wrong way and was shooting an RF signal back into the cable plant (had the in/out reversed).

I share your anxiety, since this seems like a simple component and wouldn't seem highly susceptible to failure.  The only thing that leads me to think that it is probably the culprit is that no one was living in the house, except me, for the last few days, so the setup should have been static before and after failure.  I will try to find another drop to make sure.

Thanks.

prisaz
Legend

@bangorme wrote:

Thanks.  No, I don't have more than one ActionTec on the line.  I have a coax coming into my room, I have a bidirectional splitter off that cable.  One side goes to my fios TV box, the other to the Actiontec.  The Actiontec is then connected to my computer via a short ethernet line.  This worked perfectly until yesterday afternoon and I had made no changes to either the hardware or senttings

I can't really get more complicated as I don't "officially" have access to the router and don't own the fios service.

The router that you do not have access to is an Actiontec? What type of Actiontec do you have, what type of router do you not have access to? I am just trying to help and get a clearer picture. If you have a non standard configuration, somthing on the router you do not have control over could have changed. I don't mean to jump into your conversation with lasagna,b ut this is a peer to peer board, and we all try to help.

bangorme
Enthusiast - Level 3

@prisaz wrote:

@bangorme wrote:

The router that you do not have access to is an Actiontec? What type of Actiontec do you have, what type of router do you not have access to? I am just trying to help and get a clearer picture. If you have a non standard configuration, somthing on the router you do not have control over could have changed. I don't mean to jump into your conversation with lasagna,b ut this is a peer to peer board, and we all try to help.

Any help is appreciated.

The router is an ActionTec wireless, original equipment from Fios.   I can provide the model number this afternoon, but it looks like all the rest I've seen on Fios wireless setups.  My ActionTec is the ECB2200 MoCA.  It's possible something on the Router could have changed, but since I set the admin password when I accessed it last night, I suspect it hasn't been touched.

Am I even going through the wireless router if I'm splitting off the cable?  I must be since it saw my machine......

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're using the MoCA setup I've describe on a number of posts on other threads ...

The ECB2200 is a MoCA adapter which converts your ethernet to Coax which then talks to the MoCA interface on the ActionTec router from Verizon which converts it back to Ethernet internally in the Verizon router and pushes it thru the NAT/PAT router out to the Internet. 

So yes, your ECB2200 talks to the Verizon Router and is dependent on it to operate and reach the internet.

There is no dependence on "wireless" at all in case that wasn't clear.

Typically if the Verizon MoCA is having problems, all the STB's will be having trouble with their guide and VoD information.   How's the STB next to the ECB2200 functioning?   Any issues?  Dropouts, out of date guide information, etc.?

The ECB2200 is a zero configuration device, there is no management interface to it.   You can look at the link stats for the MoCA network on the ActionTec router from Verizon however and you can probably check there to see if anything looks weird.

bangorme
Enthusiast - Level 3

@lasagna wrote:

You're using the MoCA setup I've describe on a number of posts on other threads ...

The ECB2200 is a MoCA adapter which converts your ethernet to Coax which then talks to the MoCA interface on the ActionTec router from Verizon which converts it back to Ethernet internally in the Verizon router and pushes it thru the NAT/PAT router out to the Internet. 

So yes, your ECB2200 talks to the Verizon Router and is dependent on it to operate and reach the internet.

There is no dependence on "wireless" at all in case that wasn't clear.

Typically if the Verizon MoCA is having problems, all the STB's will be having trouble with their guide and VoD information.   How's the STB next to the ECB2200 functioning?   Any issues?  Dropouts, out of date guide information, etc.?

The ECB2200 is a zero configuration device, there is no management interface to it.   You can look at the link stats for the MoCA network on the ActionTec router from Verizon however and you can probably check there to see if anything looks weird.

In fact, you are the one that recommended it!  It worked great.  The STB's has been operating fine.  I've noticed nothing with the guide (unlike when I didn't have a bidirectional splitter there).  I went on the router and looked around, but saw nothing out of the ordinary.  I looked through some of the posts here to make sure it wasn't misconfigured somehow.  Looks right out of the box.

I'm thinking it can't be a coax issue since the TV hasn't been effected??????  But maybe it isn't as sensitive to loss.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the STB can see the router (for guide and VoD) then the ECB should be able too as well ... but you're right that the amount of data is probably less than what the ECB will drive.   So, I'm thinking it's worth isolating to just the ONT, splitter, router, and ECB for the moment and see if the problems goes away ... if so, you've got noise being introduced somewhere that's causing issues with the ECB to router connection.   If it's all local and still having issues -- then one or the other pieces of electronics has decided to take a field trip.

bangorme
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, hurried home last night and lugged my desktop around the house until I could find another drop I could try that had power and a clean drop.  The speed test returned 27 mps down and 7 up.  So, I guess it's got to be my drop to the Actiontec ECB2200 (drop, coax cable to ActionTec).  I'm glad I didn't return the Actiontec ECB2200 and followed the advice here!

Looking at the wiring to the router, I'm seeing tons of splitters, joins, etc., so I suspect it's something in the wiring to the drop.  Unfortunately I won't get to test it for awhile since the lugging around of my desktop seems to have caused it to short out or malfunction.... so it's DOA.

When it rains it pours.

bangorme
Enthusiast - Level 3

OK, got my computer up and running.  I replaced the cable and got 17 mps down and 7 mps up.  I think that is in the low range of what I was getting before this all started.  To be honest, I'm not convinced the cable is the issue, but until it acts up again, at least I have a usable internet connection.

Thanks everyone for the help.