Fios Internet drops 10-20 times a day. Requires manual reconnection.
Irish8377
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is the first time I have ever posted here. I hope and pray to God/Allah/Aliens that someone from Verizon sees it.

I work from home for a big crappy tech company. We need to have internet service 24/7. Now, I don't even work 8 hours a day, but I do need to at least be available. With that being said, the Fios internet (normal and 5g) legit drops about 10 times throughout the day. Now, when I using VPN, if it drops, I have to reconnect and then reconnect the VPN. Now, when it does reconnect, it says connected, no internet. What exactly am I paying for? This has been happening for such a long time. I will "chat" with the reps, they run some test on the service (which obviously I am using cause we are online) and then tell me "it's ok". I don't even know if they are running anything. I am starting to believe that it might be better to move to comcast. They were at least reliable. I am considering moving, so maybe just let this play out.

PLEASE...for the love of God. Tell me what is going on with your service drops? How is there no protocol of availability? Back to crappy tech employer, we have to have our SaaS available 99% of the time. If they're not, customer wants to know why (outage, disaster, mouse off wheel).

Thank you.

Bob

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios Internet drops 10-20 times a day. Requires manual reconnection.
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

All of the information you've posted points to a issue with the VPN, especially since other WiFi device work fine during VPN outages.  Perhaps your company's IT people can help figure out why the VPN keeps dropping; they will know best how it's configured.  It could also be something about your WiFi that is causing the VPN to drop, even interference from neighbor's WiFi equipment.

Have you been able to run an Ethernet cable between the router and the computer?  That remains an excellent way to determine if WiFi issues are contributing to the problem.  And it doesn't require much technical knowledge; just plug it in and see what happens.

Have you been able to observe the lights on the router during a VPN drop?  That is another easy method to determine internet and WiFi status.  Look back at my earlier post with a description of the lights and let us know what you see.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums.  You're talking mostly to other customers here.  A moderator might escalate your post to the Verizon social media support team.  If you don't want to wait to see if that happens, you can contact them directly by tweeting @Verizonsupport or posting over in https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect.

No residential ISP provides an SLA.  If you want an SLA you need to pay for business class service.  That said, residential  Fios is very reliable.  I've been using it for over a decade and never had any problems due to Verizon's network.  Many others report similar reliability.  Your experience is unusual and is resolvable.

If you'd like, we users might be able to give you some trouble shooting suggestions to help figure out if this is an issue on your network or Verizon's.  To start, can you give us some more details on how you're detecting the outage?  Is it over WiFi or Ethernet?  When you detect an outage, what is the status of the lights on the ONT (pictures are helpful)?  What model ONT do you have (if you're unsure, your speed tier is a good clue)?

Finally, know that they have an executive relations team that can help when regular support isn't doing well.  If you search for "Verizon executive relations" you can find the link.  Use the EVP of the consumer group.

Irish8377
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks. It's a wifi connection I believe. I am connecting wirelessly to the router, not hard wired. When it goes out, I see the globe on my computer screen and then the VPN disconnects. I will try and take pics next time it happens. My tier coverage is below.

Internet

Fios Internet 25/25

• Wi-Fi
  • FiOS-Y4Y2C (2.4 GHz)
  • FiOS-Y4Y2C-5G (5 GHz)
0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Okay, that tells us only that your computer is loosing it's WiFi connection.  It doesn't tell us if the issue is with the router or deeper into the network.  Can you use a wired connection for a little while and report how it works?  That will tell us a lot.

I'm guessing you have the Fios G1100 Quantum router, since you have both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.  If you can confirm, that would be useful.  It's a black router typically mounted vertically with a slight tilt.  If you can't read the label, google G1100 to see pictures.

Once you confirm it's the G1100, look at it's lights during an outage.  In normal conditions the front panel has two white lights, a globe and the WiFi symbol.  Let us know the status and color of these lights during an outage.

As for pictures, I'm not asking about your computer.  I'm asking about the ONT.  Do you know where your ONT is?  Since you're on an ancient 25/25Mbps service tier, I suspect you've an old BPON ONT mounted outside your home or indoors near where the utilities enter the premise.  If I'm right, know those ONTs are a large white box with a door you can open.  Once you open the door, you'll see the lights I'm talking about.  Check those during an outage and report back.

Irish8377
Enthusiast - Level 2

You are correct on router and ONT. I have used the hard wire during times I had to be hard wired for work, but it's not near my work desk or my work monitor. It has worked fine. I don't recall there ever being an issue. As for the box, I will try and find that. I believe it's on the side of my building. I will report back on lights during an outage. It usually goes out overnight and when I turn my computer on in the AM, I can see the globe icon on lower right screen that tells me.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I suspect the issue comes from your internal network. It could be an IP conflict, DHCP misconfiguration, and/or broadcast/multicast storms.

To get rid of broadband connection out of the troubleshoot equation, do you know how to SSH into G1100? There are logs inside the router those may come very handy in detecting broadband issues.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

If it works fine when your on Ethernet, that points squarely to a problem with WiFi.  The status lights on the router and ONT during a drop are a good way to confirm. 

The most useful way to confirm is to test with Ethernet.  Even if it's just a long cable strung across the floor for a few hours, it will help.  If the problem doesn't occur when you're on Ethernet, that rules out issues with the Verizon network and ONT.  It would confirm that you need be looking at your WiFi settings and WiFi environment.

Irish8377
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks.  For both, ssh'ing directly into the router using the IP? Looks to be 192.168.1.1. I can also hardwire my personal laptop tonight and see how that handles the connection.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yeah, SSH directly into your G1100 router. SSH needs to be enabled first via web interface if not already enabled by default.

Open Windows Powershell or Unix-like command, type

ssh admin@192.168.1.1

It may ask you to trust the host 192.168.1.1, type in yes of course.

Then it will prompt you for admin password, type the one you used to login into the web interface. Default password is printed on the router's label.

After typing in the password, you should be in the SSH session.

Then type

cd /mnt/log

This will bring you to where a majority of logs are stored.

Then look for alert.log.x files, x being a natural number such as 0, 1, 2, 3... The lower the number, the more recent the log.

You may want to view alert.log.0 file, then type

less alert.log.0

You can use your arrow keys to scroll up and down the file. When finished, type q to quit. When finished with your SSH session, type in exit to close the connection.

You may want to export the log from G1100 to a text file on your computer for easier viewing. Then combine SSH, less, and direct commands together

ssh admin@192.168.1.1 "less /mnt/log/alert.log.0" > [your directory and file path]

In the file, you need to look for wanlinkdown and wanipinvalid, and note their respective time.

If you cannot find anything abnormal in alert.log.x file, then you can take a look at local0.x for WAN DHCP log. Other log files are for other purposes. For instance, there are log files for LAN DHCP, LAN wireless authentication, NAT Firewall, UPnP, and administrative login attempts.

Irish8377
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks. I will try this tonight. The box you were referring to is on the outside of my wall and not safely accessible. What I do notice is that my company VPN seems to cause issues. When my VPN is on, that's causing it to knock out. I just tested it with my phone. The computer was on VPN and konking out, but my phone was fine. When I take the VPN off, it connects fine. The thing is, I kind of need my VPN for work.

0 Likes