Re: Fios Internet drops 10-20 times a day. Requires manual reconnection.
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

What? šŸ¤” When your computer is connected to the VPN, the computer connection goes out and your phone still has Internet, and vice versa?

Did your company's VPN configure split tunnels and split DNS? Since you are connecting to the VPN behind a NAT (a home router is a NAT), did your company's VPN enable NAT-traversal?

Also, what VPN client are you using? And what kind of VPN is your company using?

Does your company store VPN logs? Your company's IT department can help too if you suspects the VPN causes the issue.

Irish8377
Enthusiast - Level 2

That is correct. I verified that several times yesterday. Phone connected to wifi and worked fine and then work pc was showing no network connection.

I am not technical enough to answer the other questions. I can ask them. It will drop with VPN on and off. It just happened right now. I didn't have a chance to do the ssh last night, but if you say Fios is reliable, I must be just having a crappy connection with my VPN. I figure it must be something here.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

All of the information you've posted points to a issue with the VPN, especially since other WiFi device work fine during VPN outages.  Perhaps your company's IT people can help figure out why the VPN keeps dropping; they will know best how it's configured.  It could also be something about your WiFi that is causing the VPN to drop, even interference from neighbor's WiFi equipment.

Have you been able to run an Ethernet cable between the router and the computer?  That remains an excellent way to determine if WiFi issues are contributing to the problem.  And it doesn't require much technical knowledge; just plug it in and see what happens.

Have you been able to observe the lights on the router during a VPN drop?  That is another easy method to determine internet and WiFi status.  Look back at my earlier post with a description of the lights and let us know what you see.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

It would be very helpful for you to SSH into the router and check the logs that are otherwise hidden. I think we can better diagnose the issue with the logs rather than trying to discover the symptoms one by one.

Irish8377
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will. It was good the entire week, so I was just knocking some stuff out. I submitted a ticket with our company IT people, but no update yet. Will report back. Thanks!

0 Likes