Fios Internet not available for my area?
GFLRoy

Hello everybody, so I've been wanting Fios for a long time now and the last time I checked the availability it wasn't available. So after a few years of using Comcast (in my opinion, not good, I honestly dislike the low bandwidth caps *300 gigabytes per month*), I went over my friends house (two minutes away but not in my neighborhood) and he had Fios. This motivated me to look at the availability again but sadly, still said it wasn't available. Every house out of my neighborhood (I am the first house in the neighborhood) had availability, which honestly sucks. So I just thought it was my neighborhood not having Fios until I looked at one of my neighbors which had it available. This one was the only neighbor with availbilty of Fios High Speed Internet. Now, if they had Fios available, shouldn't we? I am not the "best" at networking but from what I understand, shouldn't that mean the neighborhood is set up for Fios if one person has it available? I have a good friend that is good at this stuff so I can ask him when he is available.

The question is, do you think Fios is *available* in my area?

I made this post quick, so I apologize if some of it doesn't make sense.

Thanks,
GFLRoy

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Fios Internet not available for my area?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you neighbor (left or right) has it, I'd say so. Probably a database issue. Call Verizon out on that and have them request engineering to fix your address.

0 Likes
bnucci
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just a note the new clients are getting nice offers currently but as a client of about 7 years they won't budge an inch so in the future as a long term client you will have an option to pay more year over year than a new sign up and get a lower level of service. My $122 monthly is $178 with 4 boxes and taxes etc.

0 Likes
Jim_in_19115

I've been waiting years for Fios.  I'm in Northeast Philadelphia, and friends that live a mile away have it.

In June the trucks were all over my neighborhood.  Now Verizon's website says that it is available in 19115.  But, apparently it's not offered to all of 19115.  My DSL is horribly slow, and they say that they can't do anything to increase the speed.

Everytime I get an email that says I should stream Redbox with Fios, and I should stream NetFlix, my frustration level just goes up.  I can't stream anything with my speed.

I see Verizon ads that say that I should not be satisfied with my provider if my upload speed is slower than my download speed.  Well, I'm not to happy with my provider right now.  It's Verizon.

All my neighbors have told me that I should switch to Comcast.  I have family and friends that work for Verizon in various roles (and apparently no ability to address my problem).  So, I really don't want to switch to Comcast.  But, it's getting to the point, where Verizon isn't giving me any other options.  

There are days where I should be able to work from home, but my internet speed is my primary barrier.  If I need to do some work over the weekend, I have to go into the office because of my internet speed.  Remote access to my work computer is extremely choppy.  It's very difficult to work from home when I'm perpetually typing into a 'type-ahead' buffer, with sputtering screen updates.

So, how about finishing 19115?  Or, do I have to switch?

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Let me start by saying that I'm a pretty satisfied FiOS customer.  Having said that, and understanding why you'd like to have FiOS, if I were in your situation I have no doubt I'd be signing up for Comcast.

If and when FiOS becomes available to you in the future you can always decide to change then.  I say if and when because you will never get a commitment from Verizon if/when FiOS will come to your address.

Cable Internet service (Comcast) is almost surely to be vastly superior to DSL.

0 Likes
Jim_in_19115

At the moment, I have comcast cable, and verizon dsl for internet and voice.

I am extremely happy with the customer service experience that I've had with Verizon.  The people that I've interacted with have always been professional, and have been as proactive as they could possibly be.  I have not had that kind of experience with Comcast, and I'm not the kind of person that switches these types of things on a regular basis. 

I recently have had conversations with service and technical reps at Verizon.  And, I must say that I was extremely suprised when I heard a message on my voicemail from Sue D as a follow up to my lastest conversation.  This was the 2nd in a series of messages from a conversation where I was assured that someone was trying to find out more information for me.  Unfortunately, it was a message confirming, once again, that Fios was still not available, and she really doesn't know when it will be available.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Unfortunately, customer service seems hit-or-miss with many large companies.   I haven't had any bad experiences with Verizon's customer service but if you read through this forum you'll find other users who have had less than stelar experiences.

I hear you about not switching often. I'm not inclined to change willy nilly either, but  I can't help be being tempted to switch back to our local cable service, not because of disastifaction with FiOS, but because the cable company offers a heavy discount for new or returning customers, as does Verizon.   I could save a bundle by switching every couple of years.

Anyway, you'll obviously have to make the decision of what's best for you, but given that you already have Comcast service in your house,  as I said earlier, if I were in your situation I'd be getting Comcast's Internet service too.

Good luck.

0 Likes