Fios Internet slower than normal, constantly lagging for over 2 weeks
anunes101

Hey!

So I have Fios 100/100 Internet and am confused by slower speeds and constant lagspikes that has been happening nonstop for the past few weeks.

I used to be able to view livestreams at any quality with non stop broadcasting and would be able to play online games seamlessly with very rare lagspikes, but now livestreams stutter all the time no matter what quality I view them on, and online games lag too much to be possible to play.

Internet browsing feels much slower and frequently 'freezes' before loading a page (as if there is a delay in receiving the input).

Curiously, my 5G Internet is the most problematic one, acting so slow that it is almost unusuable. The 'regular', non-5g Internet is usually more consistent, but is still very slow, and will occasionally stop working entirely and require me to restart my router to work again.

I'm connected over WIFI, but my router/modem are literally right next to my computer and I doubt anything is physically interfering in the connection. Things were fine for about 6 months and then suddenly this happens.

I just ran a speedtest on the 5g network and my download was 17 mbps and my upload around 60 mpbs. I followed all the troubleshooting steps and restarted my router and nothing changed.

Please help!

0 Likes
Re: Fios Internet slower than normal, constantly lagging for over 2 weeks
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you run a test with wired device?

If you never have an issue, then it is jsut your wifi.

It could be interference.

Have you tried changing the channel of your 5G network?

Or if you have an android device, install an app called WIFI Analyzer.

It can help tell you if there is an issue with your wifi.

0 Likes
Re: Fios Internet slower than normal, constantly lagging for over 2 weeks
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is strange that your 5Ghz network is slower than the 2.4Ghz network. Perhaps there is some hidden interference.

Please try walking around your home with a laptop, running a Wi-Fi Analyzer tool. On Windows 10, there is an app called "WiFi Analyzer" in the Windows 10 Store which is free, that can help. There are also other tools like Vistumbler (Open Source/Free) or Metageek InSSIDer (commercial software) which can help. You'll want to check that no other neighboring networks are crowding onto the channel your Wi-Fi router is using on 5Ghz. Even though 5Ghz is known to have less interference on it from nearby networks, hidden interference from Wi-Fi networks being too weak, and more, can cause issues with performance like what you mention.

Otherwise, another way to rule this out to being a Wi-Fi vs. Wired problem, is to wire into your router directly. Make sure it is not the FiOS service itself, since Wi-Fi problems are not necessarily FiOS problems. A wire will prove the Fiber connection is working as intended.

0 Likes