Fios (MI424WRI) + Airport Extreme (2013) + Synology + Hue
PGermeys1

Hardware:

- Fios (MI424WRI)

- Airport Extreme (2013)

- Synology NAS

- Philips Hue

Current Setup:

Fios Actiontec MI424WRI is the primary router with DHCP+NAT with WiFi turned off.

Attached is my Airport Extreme (2013) in bridge mode with WiFi enabled.

Problem:

We have a variety of WiFi devices and hardwired devices on our network and we encounter regular drops off the network.

I have a feeling the Actiontec's DHCP/NAT is not really optimal for the amount of devices that are connect.

The network works but there just occur random drops.

I would like to use the DHCP/NAT from my Airport Extreme (2013) and make sure my Synology NAS / Philip's Hue system is still accessible from the outside. I have tried the following http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Your-Own-Router-With-Verizon-FiOS but found that it wasn't really working optimal, I would receive even more drops.

Is there a way to use just the DHCP of my own router and make the Actiontec MI424WRI work like a regular modem?

Or does Verizon offer any alternatives as I really don't need 2 routers on the network.

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Fios (MI424WRI) + Airport Extreme (2013) + Synology + Hue
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

Double NAT your Airport behind the Actiontec and then set up port forwarding for your NAS on the Actiontec

To reach it from the Internet you will also need to set up Dynamic DNS.

0 Likes
PGermeys1

I do get an error on the Airport when I do that.

So I would still need double DHCP's with different range

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

You need to connect LAN port Actiontec to WAN port Airport.   Airport needs WAN ip in DHCP range Actiontech, but set DHCP server on Airport to own sub net.  (Actiontec 192.168.1.1 - 254   Airport 192.168.2.1 -254 )

0 Likes
PGermeys1

And I set the Airport as the DMZ?

0 Likes
PGermeys1

Which one do you recommend?

1. Secondary (LAN-to-WAN) 
Simply plug the secondary (user) router into a LAN port on the Actiontec. User router must be configured for a different subnet than the Actiontec. The WAN port on the user router must also be set to use either a static IP address on the Actiontec subnet, or obtain its WAN address via DHCP.

PRO:
        • Simplest. VZ recommended solution. 
        • No configuration changes required in the Actiontec.
        • Supported by VZ. i.e. No changes to Actiontec config needed when calling for support. 
        • No cabling changes. 
        • Can be used with either a coax or cat5 connection to the ONT. 
        • All current STB functionality supported. Guide, VOD, widgets, Remote DVR, On Screen Caller ID.
      CON:
        • Secondary (user) router is double NAT'ed. 
        • No VZ support for secondary (user) router. 
        • Still subject to small NAT table in the Actiontec. 
        • Any port forwarding will need to be configured on both routers. 
        • PCs connected to one router won't be visible to PCs connected to the other router. 

2. Secondary DMZ 
Similar to #1, with secondary router as a DMZ address in the Actiontec. User router must be configured for a different subnet than the Actiontec. The WAN port on the user router must also be set to use either a static IP address on the Actiontec subnet, or obtain its WAN address via DHCP.

PRO:
        • Simple config change to create DMZ address for secondary (user) router. 
        • Eliminates need to configure port forwarding in both routers. Port Forwards are configured in secondary (user) router only. 
        • No cabling changes. 
        • Can be used with either a coax or cat5 connection to the ONT. 
        • All current STB functionality supported. Guide, VOD, widgets, Remote DVR, On Screen Caller ID.
      CON:
        • Secondary (user) router is double NAT'ed. 
      • Still subject to small NAT table in the Actiontec.
0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't have an airport extreme but I guess it's just another router.

I had my router provisioning changed to ethernet - a 15 minute telephone call with fios tech support

then I configured a netgear router as subnet 192.168.0

released the dhcp address on the vz router and then immediately disconnected it.

connected my netgear to the ont and made sure I got an ip address from verizon

connected a lan port from the netgear to the wan port on the vz router

Been working fine for a couple of months now

1 issue I had was that caller id on the TV's stopped working fixed that by forwarding the caller id ports to the vz router - they are the ones that start with 63145 and increment 1 for each stb

While I was at it I also forwarded the other vz service ports

4567 which I would guess is the vz tech support back door into the router

3500 range, again incrementing by 1 for each stb - not sure what they do but maybe it's something to do with guid and vod

I also built a static route on the netgear router for the vz subnet so that I could get to manage the vz router

destination 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.0.x where x is the ip address that the netgear router is giving to the vz router (make it static or reserved dhcp)

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

I recommend that you follow method 1, but on the Actiontec you start off by putting the Airport's static WAN IP in the DMZ.  Once you get everything working determine the ports to forward on both routers and remove the DMZ.  slightly more secure but not a huge problem if you leave everything in the DMZ.

I basically only run my FIOS STB on the Actiontec along with my Roku.  Everything else on my two double NATed routers.

0 Likes
PGermeys1

So I found that I can't change the Subnet on my airport extreme.

Apple restricted this with the new software and the new firmware on their latest router.

So I guess my only options are Bridge or ONT usage.

I dont have TV, just internet from Fios

0 Likes
PGermeys1

I think I was able to get everything working as I want it.

On the Actiontec:

- Turned off DHCP and changed it to DHCP Relay

- I put the DMZ as the Airport Express IP (192.168.1.100)

- Turned the firewall to minimum

On the Airport Express:

Static IP 192.168.1.100/24

- DNS / GW 192.168.1.1

- DHCP/NAT 10.0.1.x/24

- DMZ to my Synology IP

- Ignore the Double NAT

So far it looks like everything works, will see for how long.

0 Likes