Fios Network Extender (WCB6200Q) Installataion confusion
barbshop
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just received the

Fios Network Extender (WCB6200Q)

Only instructions were on a quick start card telling me that all I had to do was connect to an active coax port turn it on and wait.  While all lights are green on the device, I cannot detect any imporvement in wifi signal strength even standing directly next to the extender.

Saw a manual somewhere that seemed to say I needed to first connect the extender to the router via an ethernet connection.  Is this true?  The quck start guide does not indicate that.

Am I missing a step somewhere that will allow me to see an improvement in the wifi signal?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios Network Extender (WCB6200Q) Installataion confusion
barbshop
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the manual.  I'm not at home right now so can't check, but the manual calls for using the WPS buttons on the extender and the router.  I need to look, but I don't remember seeing a wps button on either the Router I received from Verizon or the Extender.  But I'll check.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hope this has your answer.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/972322/Actiontec-Wcb6200q.html

Page 8 

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Accept as Solution" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.nswer

0 Likes
barbshop
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the manual.  I'm not at home right now so can't check, but the manual calls for using the WPS buttons on the extender and the router.  I need to look, but I don't remember seeing a wps button on either the Router I received from Verizon or the Extender.  But I'll check.

0 Likes
MalcolmJohns

I bought this extender.  The Coax connection is an option.  And as I understand it, only if you have Fios TV.  If you can run an ethernet cable from your gateway or router to the extender, PORT 1 (as told to me by verizon), the extender will adopt the gateway/router settings after a few minutes, and you will have a seamless connection.  I was lucky as I had an ethernet wired connection from the basement to the first floor (did it myself).  If you don't then try the WPS, but I was told by Verizon it could be spotty sometimes.  When I hooked the extender up?  It broadcasted a new ID while it talked to my Quantum Gateway, then adopted all it's settings and became invisible.  I get full service all over my house at 5 ghz, and the 2.4 ghz extends well into my yard.  

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

You are responding to a post almost 2 years old.

i am certain the solution has already been found. 😀

0 Likes
joninva1

And here I am with the same issue searching the internet and found this old thread with the solution. Thanks for responding to 2 year old posts. 

0 Likes
sharonfromMD

I am grateful for the response as well despite the age of the post.

0 Likes
burp4

The answer I was just now looking for was found in the response that came two years after the original post.  Thanks for chiming in with your experience.  (And please do not be deterred by snarky sniping at your generous sharing.)

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes