Fios Network Extender problem
JJKiv
Contributor - Level 1

I purchased & received a WCB6200Q Extender from Fios a few days ago.   About 20 minutes after I connected & powered it up, it cloned my 2.4 and 5 GHZ network SSID's.  It aso copied the password for the 2.4GHZ network, but NOT the password for the 5GHz network.  The Extender continued to maintain the default password that came with the extender (the one on the sticker) for the 5GHz network.

I used a browser, went to the extender's admistrative page IP and checked and saw that the correct password  was listed for both the 2.4 & 5 and was the same as on the G1100 router.  Devices on the 2.4 wi-fi network connected as they should but devices on the 5GHz could not because of password error.  Which meant I either needed to fix it or change my Routers wi-fi password to match the default password on the extender, which would require me to change it on all my devices as well.

I rebooted both router & extender. I reset both router & extender.  I called Fios tech support & spent hours going through everything again.  The tech at that point felt that the problem was a defective extender and overnighted me a replacement. 

I setup the replacement extender and again have the exact same password problem. It is highly unlikely I got 2 extenders with the same defect. I decided to just let it alone for 2 days and not try to connect to it, nor fix it, and see if it pulled a firmware or software update or just copied the password.  It didn't.  I'm stumped.  Anyone experience something like this or have an idea for a possible solution.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios Network Extender problem
JJKiv
Contributor - Level 1

I solved my Fios Network Extender 5Ghz Network password issue a couple of days ago.  What was happening: The Extender cloned the 2.4 & 5 Ghz Networks along with the passwords for each.   Looking at the Extenders Administrative page showed they were there & correct for both networks and In my case I was using the same password for each.

However, while I could use the password to connect to the 2.4GHz, I got password errors trying to connect to the 5GHZ and therefor had to use the default password that came with the extender in order to connect.

The error was, that despite it cloning the SSID;s & Passwords correctly from the G1100, it would NOT USE the cloned 5Ghz password because it contained a blank space.  The blank space did not effect the 2.4GHz network. Removing the space from the Routers 5GHZ password resolved the issue and it now works. My opinion is that this is a firmware problem on the Fios Extender.

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sometimes they don’t seem to clones just go to the admin page again and manually change the 5G password to whatever your router’s password is. 

0 Likes
JJKiv
Contributor - Level 1

Done that multiple times before I posted. But just did it again to be certain and also rebooted the extender.  Tried to connect before and after rebooting without any success.

0 Likes
JJKiv
Contributor - Level 1

I solved my Fios Network Extender 5Ghz Network password issue a couple of days ago.  What was happening: The Extender cloned the 2.4 & 5 Ghz Networks along with the passwords for each.   Looking at the Extenders Administrative page showed they were there & correct for both networks and In my case I was using the same password for each.

However, while I could use the password to connect to the 2.4GHz, I got password errors trying to connect to the 5GHZ and therefor had to use the default password that came with the extender in order to connect.

The error was, that despite it cloning the SSID;s & Passwords correctly from the G1100, it would NOT USE the cloned 5Ghz password because it contained a blank space.  The blank space did not effect the 2.4GHz network. Removing the space from the Routers 5GHZ password resolved the issue and it now works. My opinion is that this is a firmware problem on the Fios Extender.

Nitu01

How to browse the extender router setup web page?

The main router setup page is http://myfiosgateway.com/ but this doesn't work/show extender SSID. I have the same case of having two different ssid(one in main router and another in extender because of the main router got replacement)

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Nitu01 wrote:

How to browse the extender router setup web page?

The main router setup page is http://myfiosgateway.com/ but this doesn't work/show extender SSID. I have the same case of having two different ssid(one in main router and another in extender because of the main router got replacement)

Log into the main router and take note of the IP address of the extender. 192.168.1.xxx. Open a new tab in your browser and type that into the address bar. That will take you to the extender admin page. 

0 Likes
casadea13

Where did you go to remove the space? through the myfiosgateway.com portal I can see the passwords appear correct but cannot find anywhere to change it or re-enter it just to be safe.

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes