Fios Network Extender
FiosSupport

Hey

I got my new extender this week and decided to plug it in. I have a Verizon Quantum Gateway Router. So far, it has not been working at all. Here are the details -

1. When the extender is connected to Router via ethernet and I connect to wireless network of the Extender it works fine.

2. When I disconnect Extender from Router and move it into my basement and try connecting to extender's wireless, the machine gets connected but there is no internet

3. The Coax light does not turn on at all

4. I can't see MOCA setup icon on the extender's admin GUI

So Far I have tried following -

1. Syncing up Router and Extender via WPS button

2. Using Coax splitter as well

Nothing has worked so far. Anyy suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Re: Fios Network Extender
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@FiosSupport wrote:

Hey

I got my new extender this week and decided to plug it in. I have a Verizon Quantum Gateway Router. So far, it has not been working at all. Here are the details -

1. When the extender is connected to Router via ethernet and I connect to wireless network of the Extender it works fine.

2. When I disconnect Extender from Router and move it into my basement and try connecting to extender's wireless, the machine gets connected but there is no internet

3. The Coax light does not turn on at all

4. I can't see MOCA setup icon on the extender's admin GUI

So Far I have tried following -

1. Syncing up Router and Extender via WPS button

2. Using Coax splitter as well

Nothing has worked so far. Anyy suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Are you using an ECB2200?

When you have the extender in the basement are you sure the coax connector there is part of the same coax setup as the one your router is on? - it sound like it's not the same network.

As a test you could just diconnect your router upstairs and connect it to the coax connector you are using in the basement to see if it gets an ip address from verizon.

0 Likes
FiosSupport

Thanks for yoru response.

I am using the latest AC1750 Fios Quanutm Gateway router. Let me try connecting the verizon router to the port in the basement.So, basically I connect the router to the same port in the basement and try to see if the wireless signal from the router is still providing me internet, correct?

In case it does not work there, how can I have both these coax ports to be on same network. Is this something easy that i can do or need to engage Verizon?

Few more things to clarify - Assuming that the coax port is not working in the basement, why is the extender not extending the wireless signal of the router in the basement? Because as soon as I disconnect the ethernet between the router and extender, extender stops extending the wireless signal from the router. Basically I can connect to the extender network but there is no intenet.

Also, any reason why I do not see any MOCA setup icon on the Admin GUI of the extender or is it that something which will only show up if it gets coax signal?

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

ECB2200 I'm guessing is the model number of your network extender and it should automatically connect via the coax connection to the moca network that your router is on  You should also be able to connect it to the router via an ethernet connection.

Apparently your g100 router is connected by coax.  You should be able to connect the router to any coax connector in the house that is on the same same shared coax network.

The fact that the moca light does not come on on the extender when in the basement makes me think that the basement coax connector is not on the same network as the coax wire that is upstairs.  That upstairs coax port is somewhere connected to the coax port that is on the ONT.  You should trace the coax wire from the ont to see where it joins the house coax network and the same thing for the basement coax connection.

This typically is not something verizon will do and it's possible that verizon ran a newq home run from the ont to your upstairs coax connector.

Do you have fios tv?  if so you can also tell which coax connectors in the house are on the fios network by connecting a tv to each of the ports.

0 Likes
FiosSupport

I don't have Fios TV. I think it makes sense that upstairs coax is on the ONT.

So if ONT coax and basement coax are on different networks, is there a way to share both or combine them? That way the basement coax can be on the same network as the ONT/router coax?

Also any idea why the extneder is not extending the wireless signal from the router? I would expect it to at least do that. The wireless network from extender is not connecting to internet with all wireless green lights on.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You need toknow how your coax is run inthe house.

Ideally they all come to a common point.

Just start at ONT with coax.

Install splitter to connect to router and to run to extender.

It should work from there.

Make sure the splitter you are using is rated for at least 2GHz.

0 Likes
FiosSupport

Thanks.

Also any idea why the extender is not extending the wireless signal from the router? Currently, as soon as I connect to extender's wireless I get no internet. I would expect t to at least extend the wirless signal from the router.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If it can't connect to the router, it can't offer internet.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@FiosSupport wrote:

Thanks.

Also any idea why the extender is not extending the wireless signal from the router? Currently, as soon as I connect to extender's wireless I get no internet. I would expect t to at least extend the wirless signal from the router.

The extender is not connected to the router.  The extender cannot connect wirelessly to the router it has to be either by moca or ethernet.

The coax network in your house with be connected to the various coax wall connections by splitters somewhere in your wiring.  Verizon apparently ran a home run from the ont to the wall connector where your router is.  You can disconnect the coax run to the basement from it's splitter on your house network and reconnect it to a splitter that you can insert into the ont home run.  If you aren't using the house coax for tv you could just put a spliiter in the verizon home run and connect it directly to the house coax wiring.

I'm not sure if you can run moca and regular tv signals on the same wiring.  Might be possible by the use of diplexors the same way that you can use ota and directv signals on the same coax network.  Perhaps someone else on here can answer that question.