Fios ONT Hookup Outside of Service Area
Culchie231

I contacted Verizon to try and get them to please come into my area. We only have one ISP to choose from, other than satellite, and ours is pathetic. I gave them my zip code, and they told me they weren't in my area, but there was a way I could still get it. They said I had to call a number and register my address, and they would do an update. Then a technician would come and hook up my internet via ONT. The person I chatted with wouldn't or couldn't tell me exactly how that would work. I have cable internet at present. Can anyone here please enlighten me, before I proceed further. I would appreciate it. Thanks. 

0 Likes
Re: Fios ONT Hookup Outside of Service Area
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

If Verizon already has FiOS available in your town/city, but hasn't extended fibers into your neighborhood, Verizon's engineers & planners would need to do their analysis to determine if it is cost justifiable to open the area up.

My town has had access to FiOS since 2007 & I've am an early subscriber. About 5 blocks away is my church. For years I tried to have Verizon extend FiOS to the building. Every request was rejected as "Not Eligible". The reasons suggested by Verizon technicians who I talk to when they are working outside the building is that the utilities are underneath the street, the lack of residential structures in the immediate area (mostly mom & pop type stores) and that Verizon's closest PON is just about full. In order to service the surrounding area, Verizon would need to pull more fiber and expand or install another PON.

I would submit your address and wait & see what Verizon ultimately decides.

0 Likes
Culchie231

Verizon isn't even in my county. My county is rural. The biggest town might have 7,000 people. That's why I'm confused as to how they would hook me up. The counties on either end of me have more people, and multiple ISP choices. I'll have to call them in the next couple days and see what they tell me. 

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm a little confused. Who is the LEC/RBOC in your area? In other words, which telephone company provides local dial tone?

So, for example, if the local telephone company is AT&T, Consolidated, CenturyLink or Frontier, Verizon can't sell FiOS in that town. 

0 Likes