Re: Fios Quantum Gateway Router - weak Wifi signal strength
btimm

I am the original poster of "Fios Quantum Gateway Router - weak Wifi signal strength" from 3/16/2017

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

We have removed the accepted solution.  The opening poster can also do this by clicking the gear icon in the post and selecting "Not the solution."

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Almost a year since the solution was accepted. Now it’s not? What happened?

0 Likes
uz214

So i have a linksys router plugged into verizon quantum router; i have a 5000 sqft house with 3 levels the quantum router is a joke. The router i am using is Linksys EA9500; its expensive but worth it; i have the gigabit package from verizon, its a shame the router they use and sell cant work everywhere around my house

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@uz214wrote:

So i have a linksys router plugged into verizon quantum router; i have a 5000 sqft house with 3 levels the quantum router is a joke. The router i am using is Linksys EA9500; its expensive but worth it; i have the gigabit package from verizon, its a shame the router they use and sell cant work everywhere around my house

See my other replies. The Quantum Gateway Router is in my personal opinion junk.

if they moved the antenna from internal and used beamforming I think that would help.

i use the Nighthawk from Netgear and it’s perfect. The need for the Quantum is just if you need tech support. Verizon will only service up to the ONT if you use any other router. 

0 Likes
btimm

I originaly posted this message and never accepted a solution. Somehow someone other than me accepted a solution. Since a solution has not been provided for this issue I requested that the thread be reopened.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

As you said, you bought a more expensive router.

You should expect better performance from a more expensive device.

Quantum is at best a mid level router. That's why it is $149 (on sale at times for as low as $99).
Some routers are easily $250+.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@CRobGauthwrote:

As you said, you bought a more expensive router.

You should expect better performance from a more expensive device.

Quantum is at best a mid level router. That's why it is $149 (on sale at times for as low as $99).
Some routers are easily $250+.

That would be an accurate statement as routers go. The old adage of “you get what you pay for” comes to mind.

my Netgear Nighthawk was over $400+ but worth it. 

The problem is actually twofold in that like cable companies and their free modems versus Verizon routers it is for revenue generation (I understand Charter now does not charge a rental fee) which pays for the router over and over and over. However unlike cable you can use a number of other modems approved and supported by them where Verizon Fios will allow your own router but offer no support for it. 

It is a money grab. It’s the world we live in.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Charter / Spectrum doesn't charge for modems anymore, but they do charge a $5 fee to have Wi-Fi enabled. Also, unless you're in a DOCSIS 3.1 market ordering Gigabit Internet, you'll end up with some lousy and unstable Puma6 modem. So buying your own modem is almost certainly a must with Spectrum, until the Puma6 can be put out to pasture or finally fixed for good.

FiOS at least keeps the simple Ethernet connectivity / plug and play concept going. I do agree - they need to support the basic connectivity whether or not the FiOS router is present, but beyond that they can do what Spectrum does, where they just ensure the connection is "up" and an IP address is being held by the CPE. That is all Spectrum does when they troubleshoot a cable modem that is customer owned.

jat454
Enthusiast - Level 3

You're missing the point. In most cases, including mine, performance was better with the old Actiontec router. "Upgrading" to the Quamtum router gives worse wifi range and coverage.

I recently upgraded to 75/75 speed and recieved the new Quantum router. Located in the same spot as the old router, no other changes in the house and with the same devices, the performace is worse. I've tried all of the suggestions to fix it, but none of them helped. Whether it's 2.5GHz or 5GHz, the performance is not acceptable. Bottom line, the range on the Quantum router is worse than the older technology.

0 Likes