Re: Fios Quantum Gateway Router - weak Wifi signal strength
jat454
Enthusiast - Level 3

In fact I’m sitting here looking at this forum on my phone. I have to shut the WiFi off to get the pages to load. One bar on LTE loads the pages no problem. Turn WiFi on and it slows to a crawl, sometimes not even loading. Never had an issue with the old router.

0 Likes
cvb1973

This router has exceptionally bad wifi.  I switched from Xfinity to Fios, and while the internet connectivity is smoother for hard wired stuff, the wifi is laughable in comparisson?  I live in the upstairs section of my 2 family, and it's 500sq. ft.  I was able to improve performance barely by switching channels and get more bars, but the wifi is completely unreliable.

Ironically, he xfinity wifi had NO ISSUES.   So it's not a channel thing.  A hundred support devices when you can barely support the 20 or so I have because of abysmmal WIFI strength?

I think they need to change/upgrade routers sooner or later at no charge to the customer.   The Wifi performance on this is just unacceptable.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

The FiOS Quantum Gateway Router is junk in my opinion. I use a Netgear Nighthawk R8500 which has beam forming and external antenna versus internal antenna in the Quantum. Poor range and poor design. Now I read direct ethernet connections are fine.

you can improve WiFi via buying extenders and I think you said you have tv with Fios? So you will either need a MOCA extender which you can purchase from Verizon or from best buy etc. the Verizon ones are $99 so shop around. 

You still I’ll need to have coaxial or ethernet up stairs to use the adapter.

0 Likes
jat454
Enthusiast - Level 3

So while using my laptop with the WiFi dropping in and out I click chat on the Verizon site just for the heck of it. After a couple of resets the tech was actually able to improve the signal. In the same spot it went from 3 bars to full strength. He said he was able to increase the signal strength. I was skeptical but after a week it is still working well. For 5G I have to be very close to the router, but 2.4G works well all over the house just like the old router. So give the chat a shot. It may help.

deilenberger1
Enthusiast - Level 2

As others have noted - the range of the G1100 is marginal at best. I'm sure Verizon got a good deal on them, it's too bad they didn't consider customer satisfaction into the equation. They sold me on faster connectivity - which I get if direct connected to the router - but they lost me on range. As others experienced, I often have to turn WiFi off in order for pages to load, meaning I'm using 4G which I pay for when I should be able to use WiFi.

I'm looking into doing a mesh setup. I have an extender - which I can connect to and get a good signal - but it suffers when it connects to the G1100. It worked fine with the old Actiontec that I had before, it stutters and stalls with the G1100 as it's source (only 30 feet away.)

I've gone into the router control panel - and it claims I'm using the latest firmware (1.03.02.02).. no update available.

It's just a crappy router.

0 Likes
Mav2018

I could have written this post – my situation exactly. I extremely unhappy with Verizon after an extremely bad customer service interaction while trying to rectify the weak signal problems we just upgraded to fix. At present, we have no solution in site. I will be switching my service ASAP.

0 Likes
bbjunky
Enthusiast - Level 2

After reading postings about the Quantum Gateway Router, I'm no longer thinking about switching from Actiontec M1425WR. My reason for wanting to switch is poor WiFi signal strength in the 2nd level far end, of our not so big house. Many posters are complaining about the same problem in the Quantum Router so I doubt a switch would help. This is a recent problem for us, starting about May-June 2018. Daughter was complaining of getting only 1-2 bars on her Google phone., The signal would drop completely and go to cell data. She thought it was due to a software update on the phone. It may partly be that, but my Samsung tablet also started experiencing signal drops, needing to reconnect to WiFi repeatedly, and trouble connecting - no cell service on device. We did a firmware update on the Actiontec, but no change. I'm convinced a range extender is the way to go for either router, or switch to another provider.

0 Likes
deilenberger1
Enthusiast - Level 2

A Verizon tech I contacted in a support chat actually upped the output power on mine. I now get a decent signal over a lot more of my house. Not perfect - but better. I asked why the power was backed off and he said to avoid conflicts between nearby routers (I'm guessing all on the same channel.)

Worth a try - maybe you'll get a good one like I did. He logged into my router and made the switch while I watched the output. Went up about 10db on 2 and 5GHz bands.

0 Likes
sgp61

Don't waste your money on the extender, I did and gained 0!  Peerhaps a nest although more coastly work 100 times better.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122742

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAF4H7T59118

0 Likes
KER3

Simalar results....  I used WIFi analyzer before Verizon tech installed the new Gigbit service and router.  He installed it in the basement, and I thought "Im right above it" it should be okay...  WRONG!  It;s an awful device.  WEAK as heck.  I was literally standing about 12 feet from the router, and I told the tech I can't get 5G signal.  The signal was through the floor to my new Google Pixel 3.  He said 'It's your phone.  I can see it on my tablet".  Well sure when I stand right next to the new WiFI router in the basement, it's blazing fast (230mbs on Speedtest) up and down.  A TV at the top of the basement stairs cannot see either 2.4g or 5g signal if the basement door is closed.  The tech did a nice job installing it in the basement, but we don't use our devices in the basement.  I actually am not planning on using their router anyway, since my Netgear router is way more powerful.  They are just trying to get you to buy or rent their stuff.  Shame on Verizon.

My signal strength from the Netgear was -35db for 2.4ghz, and -60db for 5ghz.  Fios router was -75db for 2.5ghz at the same spot.  My neighbors WiFi signal was better than my signal!  

0 Likes