Fios (TV + Internet) Network Setup with Eero Router + MoCa + Switch
nckm126

Wanted to confirm if the below setup will work when using my own Eero router coupled with a MoCa adapter? I have TV + Internet so am under the impression I will need both Coax and Ethernet connections to make the TV guide work.

Since the Eero only has 2 ethernet ports, will need to utilize a Switch (via Patch panel). Will the MoCa Ethernet connection through a Patch/Switch then back to the router cause any issues vs. just sending back to the router? Assume switch is unmanaged. Thanks in advance. Diagram below.

Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios (TV + Internet) Network Setup with Eero Router + MoCa + Switch
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@nckm126 wrote:

was thinking the Motorola MM1000

I recommend Verizon/Actiontec ECB5240M as your Ethernet-MoCA birdge. It costs $55, comes with Verizon support, an Ethernet cable, a two-way coax splitter, and two short coax cables. It provides 3 more Ethernet ports than Motorola MM1000. If you are using the Ethernet-MoCA bridge solely for the purpose of giving network access to the STBs, just grab a used Actiontec/Verizon WCB3000N off the Ebay. It costs $20, but its MoCA speed caps at 175Mbps. You are not using MoCA as your network backbone, so it will be fine to have lower speeds.

@nckm126 wrote:

does anyone have any experience amending the settings (IP, etc.) to make the VOD, firmware updates, etc. still work without the Gateway router Fios provides?

Not any way I am aware of. The bottom line is that you need a Verizon router (either being BHR 3, 4, or 5) because the STBs dynamically negotiate with the router to forward certain ports. There is a way you can use your own router as the primary while putting Verizon router behind it, but you still need a Verizon router regardless. To configure this, you need some network knowledge.

If you have more questions, I am happy to help.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

It should work if you only want the TV Guides. Non-Verizon router setup do not deliver Video-On-Demand, DVR Playback, STB activation, STB upgrade, Fios App TV integration, and other otherwise supported features.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

FYI, fiber goes straight to the ONT.   The ONT only has one Ethernet port.  Maybe you're showing two due to a limitation of your diagramming tool.  But this is a minor point.

Connecting a MoCA adapter through a switch will work just as well as a direct connection to a router.

The bigger issue is the set-top-boxes.  They use the MoCA connection for more than guide data.  It's also used for video-on-demand, access controls, firmware updates, and general command & control.  If you've the "Fios ONE" boxes, they need a Verizon router as primary to activate.  Set-top-boxes are reported to need specific port forwards.  You may be able to extract the settings from a Verizon router.  I don't know the details, as I use a Verizon router with Verizon set-top boxes.  Do some searching on this forum or pop over the the FAQ on DSLreports for ideas.
https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.1_General_Networking

You probably already know that if you don't use a Verizon router, their support will stop at the ONT.  Even if you've a problem with TV that doesn't appear to be related to internet, they won't work on it unless you've a Verizon router as primary.  It's unlikely you'll need their support, as Fios is very reliable.  But now you know, if you care.

nckm126

Agreed on the fiber, I have updated the diagram just for accuracy sake.

I do have the Fios One box, so even with a quality MoCa adapter (was thinking the Motorola MM1000) does anyone have any experience amending the settings (IP, etc.) to make the VOD, firmware updates, etc. still work without the Gateway router Fios provides?

Perhaps this would become unnecessarily complex, so another option would be to Double-NAT. As far as I can tell and read online, Double NATing should not hamper any of the Eero capabilities like bridge mode would (Homekit, etc.). Does anyone else here have experience Double NATing with the Fios Gateway and having a 3rd party router then become your core network? Drawbacks? Thanks.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@nckm126 wrote:

was thinking the Motorola MM1000

I recommend Verizon/Actiontec ECB5240M as your Ethernet-MoCA birdge. It costs $55, comes with Verizon support, an Ethernet cable, a two-way coax splitter, and two short coax cables. It provides 3 more Ethernet ports than Motorola MM1000. If you are using the Ethernet-MoCA bridge solely for the purpose of giving network access to the STBs, just grab a used Actiontec/Verizon WCB3000N off the Ebay. It costs $20, but its MoCA speed caps at 175Mbps. You are not using MoCA as your network backbone, so it will be fine to have lower speeds.

@nckm126 wrote:

does anyone have any experience amending the settings (IP, etc.) to make the VOD, firmware updates, etc. still work without the Gateway router Fios provides?

Not any way I am aware of. The bottom line is that you need a Verizon router (either being BHR 3, 4, or 5) because the STBs dynamically negotiate with the router to forward certain ports. There is a way you can use your own router as the primary while putting Verizon router behind it, but you still need a Verizon router regardless. To configure this, you need some network knowledge.

If you have more questions, I am happy to help.

Fooobee

Can you confirm if what you tired worked? I am only interested in the channel guide working. I have my eero as my primary router and unplugged my Verizon router. My cable still works but don’t get any features mentioned in this post. I ordered the ScreenBeam Bonded MoCA 2.0 Network Adapter as suggested, but it arrives later this week. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013J7OBUU/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_glt_fabc_AYJG2NGZY8HXC1GTQZ0K?_encoding=UTF...

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Like I said in the previous posts, if you only need guide data for older VMS boxes, a WCB3000N would suffice.

Two problems in using ECB6200 replacing a Verizon router:

1) Newer Fios TV One boxes require a primary Verizon router. Without one, the boxes won't activate and won't upgrade. If you lose the signal, the tech support cannot troubleshoot for you.

2) ECB6200 uses faulty and outdated MoCA chips. All ECB6200/WCB6200 devices are not compatible with newer MoCA 2.5 standards. If you may upgrade to higher speeds in the future, ECB6200s are not advisable.