Fios/Verizon unable to route to a particular host
n2yo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

I constantly visit the most popular Romanian news outlet website hotnews.ro to keep being informed about stuff around the world and I am a Fios customer. I noticed about a month ago that I am no longer able to get to that website. After a little investigation I noticed that there is  no route from my end to reach the destination host. The traceroute command reports at very last step this:

5 * B3303.WASHDC-LCR-21.verizon-gni.net [130.81.190.108] reports: Destination net unreachable.

(In live in Washington DC metro area)

I asked some friends, also Fios users living in same area to try and see if they can get to that website. They can't. I also found that I can't open the hotnews.ro website with a browser on my Android phone. I am Verizon customer. I checked with other providers, and Comcast, Cox do not have that problem. I have to use a proxy to get to the hotnews.ro website and read the news. So the problem is somewhere with a Verizon router. No doubt about that.

Now the problem is how to fix it. I spent countless hours on chat with 1st tier customers support to explain the problem. All they know is to reset my connection, restart router, etc. They contacted the "network team" and after I gave them all the facts, they still ask me silly questions, quite embarrasing to originate from network engineers. It's sad people with that training are designated to provide networking support. So when they asked me to disconnect all devices in my house and use a direct connected computer to the router to make same test, I quit. I thought this forum may help me, and a knowledgeable Verizon person would read my post and resolve this issue. In fact, it is possible the problem would resolve by itself after a router reset or upgrade in a datacenter. But I cant waste a lot of hours with incompetent personnel unable to reproduce the problem and locate the failure. Simply the output of traceroute command would be enough for a technician to start investigating.

Again, this problem does not affect only me but all Verizon (including wireless) customers in this region. Nobody complains because just a few users try to reach that website. I am sure there are many other hosts being unreachable because of the routing failure.

So this a summary:

Host affected: hotnews.ro [91.195.7.1]

Traceroute output:

C:\Users\User1>tracert hotnews.ro

Tracing route to hotnews.ro [91.195.7.1] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1
  2    42 ms     6 ms     8 ms  lo0-100.WASHDC-VFTTP-303.verizon-gni.net [108.51.157.1]
  3     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  5     *     B3303.WASHDC-LCR-21.verizon-gni.net [130.81.190.108]  reports: Destination net unreachable.

Trace complete.

Thank you!

Chip

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios/Verizon unable to route to a particular host
n2yo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Problem solved. I contacted the hosting provier and there was a problem with network configuration. Once fixed, the packets are correctly routered from FiOS/Verizon.

I will mark the issue as being resolved.

Chip

View solution in original post

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Probably not a verizon issue.

I tried from my office (using another provider than Verizon)

I can't get traceroute or ping to work.

Possibly a network issue on their side.

0 Likes
n2yo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can you share the output of traceroute?

Thanks,

Chip

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can get to that site on my friends cell phone(sprint) and my sister has tmobile and can't get to the site either. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Here you go.

I had to block out some hops as they are internal info to my company network.

0 Likes
n2yo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks.

Now I am lost, how to find where the bottleneck is?

Chip

0 Likes
n2yo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Problem solved. I contacted the hosting provier and there was a problem with network configuration. Once fixed, the packets are correctly routered from FiOS/Verizon.

I will mark the issue as being resolved.

Chip

0 Likes