Fios and Blizzard Games
Easife

I've been playing Blizzard games for as long as I can remember. It wasn't until I recently made the swap to Verizon Fios that I've had nothing but lag problems. I've run a pathping and a WINMTR test, which shows significant packet loss on the Verizon side of things. Has anyone had experience with this, and figured out a way to resolve it? I've disabled IPv6 and have flushed DNS, released and renewed, etc. Still having the same issues. Verizon is telling me that my internet is fine.. my lag is telling me otherwise.

0 Likes
Re: Fios and Blizzard Games
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello!

Is your device connected via WiFi or a wired Ethernet connection? 

I've never had the slighest issue with the actual FiOS service in regards to lag, but I do know that the newer G1100 Verizon routers do have some shortcomings with their WiFi. But for gaming a wired connection should be a must. 

When you say you are seeing loss on the Verizon side, is it after 2 hops after it leaves your house? (See screenshot below). This is normal. 

If not, please do post a screenshot of the test and we can better help.

Easife

Hello! I was trying to find a way to attach a picture earlier. I've pasted the tracert below.  Please let me know if you cannot read that. I am connected wirelessly, though I've had this issue prior to changing over to Fios. 

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your traceroute looks fine, you'll notice the loss and (???) marks once you hit a Level3.net router, this is just how Level3 handles traceroutes (their routers don't respond to requests).

I'd say the problem is most likely on the LAN side (inside the house). Would it be possible to wire your game console temporarily and test if the lag goes away, to test if WiFi is the culprit? 

Easife

I can try and do a hard wired connection temporarily. The fact of the matter is this issue only occured once I swapped over to Fios. Wireless hasn't been an issue with my previous ISP.

0 Likes
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Which game are you having trouble with specifically?

I played World of Warcraft for years over FiOS (most recently zipping through the Legion content last summer [2017]). Never had an issue even though I played on a west-coast server from the east coast.

I have never played Overwatch though, so I can't speak to that.

Easife

World of Warcraft is choppy. Heroes of the Storm is unplayable. 

I am not using a router, I am using the aforementioned  G1100 Verizon Modem. I wonder if that may be the problem?

0 Likes
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

First off, before someone else says it, the Verizon FiOS Quantum Gateway (Model FiOS-G1100) is a router, not a modem.

The first thing I would try is to set up some port forwarding rules. See this Verizon video for a start about why you might want to do this. If you haven't already, download the user guide for the G1100 from this page (or use this direct link). (Oddly, I have a newer version of the manual from 2016, but I can't find it anywhere on Verizon's site.)

Page 96 of that manual talks about setting up port forwarding. Unfortunately, I don't have a G1100 to try this on and the manual is way too lean on detail for me to give instructions. However, I found a few posts that might help [1], [2], [3]. What we really need is for someone using the G1100 with port forwarding rules to chime in. 

Now, as to what ports to forward, start with this page. For HotS, portforward.com offers this. Blizzard offers this table of ports at battle.net for their games.

Easife

So the port forwarding worked for Blizzard. But whenever I use discord in conjunction with WoW the lag continues.

0 Likes
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

So a step closer it sounds. 

I found the newer version of the G1100 manual from 2016. I was curious if they have QoS settings, and if they did, would that help? I found this gem on page 126 of the (newer) manual:

Quality of Service (QoS) – contact Technical Support for detailed
information

That doesn't seem helpful. They do talk about Wireless QoS (WMM) on page 57, but I'm assuming you are not using a wireless connection. 

Actually, it would probably be helpful to know what your gaming hardware is, too. The motherboard at least so that we know what type of LAN ports you have.

Discord does require some ports as well, but the range I found quoted was way bigger than I would be comfortable with. It uses 443 on TCP for text chat (which is the same port that SSL [e.g., https://something.com] uses so that's likely already open). However, for voice chat, it uses 45000-65536. I'd only port forward that large a range if I could specify the exact Discord server (by IP) in use.