Fios and Vonage
blocker

I have Fios 25-15 - a NIM and a Dlink di-624..I recently got Vonage voip moving from ATT CallVantage. My ATT voip worked great all these years. Now with the Vonage device VDV21 the vonage voip is not usable. Talking is so choppy on both ends that both parties cannot understand a conversation. I have talked to Vonage 4 times this week and they have changed firmware and done other changes back and forth with no success. I have the vonage wan IP as static and as DMZ in the dlink. The hookup has vonage internet port to regular port on the dlink...NIM to regular port on Dlink. Two computers to regular ports on dlink. Fios ethernet to Wan port on dlink. After resetting power on the vonage device I might get a decent 5 minute voice conversation. After that all calls are so choppy it is not usable. Should I try another router for fios or maybe a switch or router in between the vonage and the dlink? As it is now I will need to cancel the vonage but would like to keep it if possible. Hopefully, someone has had this same problem and can give me a solution..Thanks..

0 Likes
Re: Fios and Vonage
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

That is really strange its giving you such problems.  I use the Actiontec router with the Linksys Vonage router plugged into my Actiontec Router using all the standard configurations. 

During the day I run three PC's, stream Sirius Internet Radio, my company VPN and my Company's VOIP telephone from NY to the west Coast.  I stream all this and so much more and can't recall in the 3 years of having FIOS having single voice issue with the Vonage service. 

My FIOS Internet Service is 20/5.  Have you ran any speed tests to verify that you are indeed getting 25/15?

0 Likes
blocker

I have the dlink di-624 router provided by verizon and the new V Portal device from vonage. Still cannot use the vonage phone service. Calls are too choppy to understand.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Have you ran any speed tests to verify that you are getting the proper speeds?

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Speedtests would give you an idea if maybe your internet just isn't running as it should.

But if your speeds are OK. Then I would suspect the Vonage router. Your Dlink is just a standard router and is not encumbered by all the Verizon software. You also stated that if you reboot the Vonage, it will work for a while then go bad again. This suggests that the problem is with the Vonage equipment. Personally I would try two things, assuming that your internet speeds are good.

1st I'd contact Vonage and tell them that you think their router is bad and ask them to replace it. From the symptoms this is the most likely

2nd, if replacing Vonage's router doesn't help. I'd, then replace the Dlink. But don't go through Verizon to swap it out. They will just replace it with one of those Actiontec or Westell routers that are too bloated with their software making other problems. Just go down to the computer store and get yourself a decent router. Luckily with that nim setup, your Verizon setup will work with any router on the market and it gives you so many choices.

One of those should solve your issue

0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

"I have the vonage wan IP as static and as DMZ in the dlink. The hookup has vonage internet port to regular port on the dlink...NIM to regular port on Dlink. Two computers to regular ports on dlink. Fios ethernet to Wan port on dlink."

Your description above is confusing to me:   You state that you are using a NIM, and you state "NIM to regular port on DLink", but then you also state, "FiOS ethernet to WAN port on DLink".    So, do you have a verizon router ?  If not, are you using a direct ethernet connection from the ONT to the DLink?  If that is so, where and why are you using the NIM ?    A Network Interface Module (NIM) is used to convert the coax media to ethernet, to then plug the ethernet into a NIC, but if your dlink has a direct ethernet cable from the ONT, you don't need the NIM. 

verizon internet into your house via cable line connection --> to the NIM device  --> to the DLink router --> to the Vonage device, is that correct?

In the above configuration, your DLink would need to be set as a DHCP server with a static IP set for the Vonage device (in the DLink settings) and (in the Vonage device settings.) 

'lemme no!   I can get confused

0 Likes