Fios and Xfinity compatible router?
rktrump
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm pretty ignorant on these things, so pardon any mis-terminology:

I need to upgrade my FIOS router (the thing coax comes into that also sends wifi through my house). I currently have a dinosaur of one I got from Verizon ages ago and my wifi is all but useless - apparently thanks ot the outdated hardware.

But, I'm not sure I'll stick with Verizon long, and if I do switch I'll move to Xfinity/Comcast. Is there any hardware I can upgrade to that would be compatible with both, so that I don't have to purchase yet another new thing if I do switch to Xfinity?

I'm thinking the answer is 'no' since the tech is different between these two internet services, but wanted to ask those more knowledgeable. Thanks!!

0 Likes
Re: Fios and Xfinity compatible router?
jonjones1
Legend

There are a few modem (cable) and router (Fios) combos that are sold out there.

Arris and Netgear use to sell them. Having said that I cannot say it will work on Fios internet, nor as a replacement with coaxial (MOCA) 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/routers/modem-router-combos/pcmcat748302046324.c?id=pcmcat748302046324&...

Good place to start. Read the particulars on use.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes and no. Most cable modems are combos units with a router and wifi built in. The WAN coax port on a cable modem uses DOCSIS which is different from FiOS routers. There aren't any cable modems that would be able to communicate with the ONT via the coax port. 

There are cable modem/router combos where you can change the WAN connection from coax to ethernet. That would be the type you can use with FiOS. Like the previous poster said you will have to check to see if it has that function. You will also need an ethernet connection from the FiOS ONT to your router. It also will not work with Verizon set-top boxes if you have TV service. So it would only be practical if you are internet only.

rktrump
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks to both of you for this very helpful information!!

I do not have Verizon TV, so switching to an ethernet setup is fine. 

This particular Motorola modem/router is Xfinity compatible and it looks like I'll need to call Verizon to confirm that it will work with fios internet. 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/motorola-n450-n-router-with-8-x-4-docsis-3-0-cable-modem-black/5709189....

But, more generally, is this a pretty up-to-date option? Will it be as simple as hooking it up to my Verizon box through ethernet and then it will blast wifi through my house (in addition to being able to hook it up via ethernet to a desktop computer)?

Thanks again!

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I can find any documentation on that modem to see if a LAN port can be reconfigured to a WAN port so I would stay away from that one. It is also has the older Wireless N standard which is slower than current AC. 

I would recommend just getting a good wireless router with wireless AC. Stay away from anything with “modem”. Something like this would be good. 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-nighthawk-ac1900-dual-band-wi-fi-5-router-black/1754208.p?skuId...

This way once running ethernet from your ONT it will definitely work. 

After that if you do decide to switch to Comcast you could pick up wired only modem and connect that to the Netgear router. 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/arris-surfboard-32-x-8-docsis-3-0-cable-modem-white/4600801.p?skuId=460...

rktrump
Enthusiast - Level 2

That's way more than I was hoping to spend.

I have VZ's cheapest download/upload option so they sell a coax-router that would be able to deliver that speed well (apparently) for $60. If I was to go with that, could I then use that in the future to connect to an Xfinity modem?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@rktrump wrote:

That's way more than I was hoping to spend.

I have VZ's cheapest download/upload option so they sell a coax-router that would be able to deliver that speed well (apparently) for $60. If I was to go with that, could I then use that in the future to connect to an Xfinity modem?

No you cannot. As the other poster stated one is Docsis and one is fiber optics.

when you say the cheapest are you saying 25/25 with coaxial MOCA connection?

you can get a free modem through any cable internet service. I believe in New York the lowest they are supposed to offer is 100/25 (could be 10, 20) in your location it could be higher/lower speeds but more than 25.

if you use a Verizon router which is crappy on WiFi you will pay $12 a month for $144 a year in rental fees. A decent non MOCA install with a new customer owned router like a Netgear or Asus can be as low as $75 and of course on up which seems money is a factor to you.

0 Likes
rktrump
Enthusiast - Level 2

50/50, I believe.

I can buy a router outright from Verizon for $60.

When I considered switching to Xfinity a while back, they did not offer me a free modem. It's one of the reasons I did not switch. I put the pressure on. Still no freebie.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader
jonjones1
Legend

That last poster gave a great link. $40 for a TP link Archer. Great price and AC bands.

0 Likes