Fios app requires IOS 10
Jjflash53

My wife's 1st generation ipad mini fios app requires ios10 to update her iPad will not run ios10 . The fios app will not allow her to use it without the update. Can someone please fix this?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios app requires IOS 10
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is mainly a peer to peer support forum.

It is not uncommon for APPs to only support the more recent versions of an OS.

Sometimes there are new features that are added that require services only available in newer versions.

Or newer versions have replaced services that were only existent in the older versions.

It can be quite difficult for the app to provide support for too many versions of an OS.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is mainly a peer to peer support forum.

It is not uncommon for APPs to only support the more recent versions of an OS.

Sometimes there are new features that are added that require services only available in newer versions.

Or newer versions have replaced services that were only existent in the older versions.

It can be quite difficult for the app to provide support for too many versions of an OS.

jonjones1
Legend

It cannot be fixed. Apple no longer supports the device. Yep it happened to me. I just purchased a newer up to date version.

you could call apple and complain, but like Microsoft they won’t care. Money and greed are motivators.

TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Talk to them about upgrade credit for your current iPad

https://www.apple.com/retail/

jonjones1
Legend

@TomH309 wrote:

Talk to them about upgrade credit for your current iPad

https://www.apple.com/retail/

Thats a great suggestion 😀

i just gave my old ones to friends.

0 Likes
EngineerGuy1
Enthusiast - Level 1

@jonjones wrote:

you could call apple and complain, but like Microsoft they won’t care. Money and greed are motivators.

I'm an embedded systems engineer with almost four decades of experience, but I'll explain this in laymen's terms.  Older iPads don't work with newer versions iOS usually because they lack specific hardware features required by the new OS, and because they are generally too slow. 

Modern versions of iOS are 64 bit.  The CPU in the first generation iPad is  32 bit (a 1 GHz ARM Cortex-A8).  That's just one area in which the 1st gen iPad is woefully inadequate for the current generation iOS.  The GPU is another one.

If you don't obsolete hardware and drop support for it, the OS, and the apps, become bloated, slow, unreliable messes that have massive amounts of code to support ancient devices -- on which modern apps would often be far too slow anyway.

So, no, it's not about "money and greed."  It's about devoting resources to improving the user experience rather than diverting them into supporting primitive hardware used by a tiny, and shrinking, fraction of the user base.

It's almost incredible that you'd accuse Apple of "greed" because they won't develop, at no cost to you, a new version of iOS that magically provides acceptable performance, and support for all modern APIs, on a Jurassic first generation, 32-bit iPad.

jonjones1
Legend

All products and especially computer products are made to be obsolete.

its the way it is. The manufacturers know that the hardware (which is ipads and iphones and desktop and tablet computers all are no matter the different names.

its the “software” that is screwing up the devices. Constant updates, and yes improvements in many cases is what is making other siftware not to be compatible.

in the way back days microsoft used their operating system to make these boxes run. And with progress every time they updated their OS the devices in most cases did not work. DOS-WIN3.1-WINDOWS 95-WINDOWS 98-WINDOW ME-WINDOWS 7 on up.

these updated OS caused device obsolescence. The same is for the Apple OS updates. They update which in certain cases have bricked the devices from battery charging and certain functions that worked previously before. And of course if every device was indeed made to handle these so called upgrades then there would never be any real sales of new products.

so the bottom line is greed. No title or college degree is going to change that.

even the older ipads had difficulty due to poor programming loading updates. Google it. And even now Apple is facing court actions on their updates and effects on certain apple devices. 

And when i purchase a hugly expensive device be it from apple or any company i already paid for those updates. No reason other than corporate profits to make it obsolete in a few years.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Users want more features.

You really expect a 10 year old computer to be able to support the same programs as a current one?

Old cars don't support new features like cruise control, new audio features, blind spots etc. If you want the up to date features, you need to buy new. Like exactly what you have, then keep it.

jonjones1
Legend

@CRobGauth wrote:

Users want more features.

You really expect a 10 year old computer to be able to support the same programs as a current one?

Old cars don't support new features like cruise control, new audio features, blind spots etc. If you want the up to date features, you need to buy new. Like exactly what you have, then keep it.

In many cases software is what consumers purchase to do daily tasks and games etc.

however like i said in my reply this is geared toward obsolescence by design.

every year consumers purchase desktops and laptops and ipads etc. which being less than a year old are updated to have end of life cycles. I can assure you consumers are fed up with having first a working device and then having a reduced life devices in a few months. Apple was caught lowering the battery life on their iphones (yes i and my wife use their devices) however then next debacle was apple sent out an update that customers could not install unless you had a gazillion megabytes of space on your phone. It took them months to find a fix because of their goof up. Just look it up.

and most app developers are sending out regular app updates to fix what? Look at your programs and apps and keep a log of how many times these apps are updated.

totally unneeded. And i have been working with computers back when Sperry Univac was considered fast with one calculation at a time. I remember Microsoft coming on the scene and how their operating systems made cameras, scanners, printers and highly expensive programs obsolete. So in many cases it is not progress by greed.

0 Likes