Fios audio becomes distorted after 22-23 minutes. WHY?
JMC10281
Enthusiast - Level 2

When listening or downloading a pre-recorded audio, it becomes distorted after 22-23 minutes.  This occurs on two hard-wired computers and a wireless connection to my laptop.  (No problems were evident from March 2008 through a few months ago.)

The router is one year old with the orange-ish color band on it.

***  Does anyone know why?
***  Better yet, does anyone know how to fix it?

Calling Tech Support is useless.  I tried three times last night and wasted 110 minutes total on hold.

It started about the same time when the call forwarding option on the FIOS telephone service stopped working.  Verizon has wasted over a dozen hours without providing a fix.  This is probably not related to the audio problem, but it's definitely odd that they started about the same time.

Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: Fios audio becomes distorted after 22-23 minutes. WHY?
JMC10281
Enthusiast - Level 2

On my dual-core (older computer), the audio stopped at 23 minutes and a few seconds.  The little white dots in the middle of the screen were going round and round... buffering (but it didn't say this)?

Any thoughts on what's going on?

My call to Verizon tech support (I finally got through) was useless.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unusual problem. Audio online is pretty much digital - if it's skipping or cutting out entirely I can see that. But distorted audio if this is something like a podcast is quite unusual for a digital medium.

What service is this audio coming from?

Are you having trouble with corrupted downloads, or slow downloads?

How about uploads?

0 Likes
JMC10281
Enthusiast - Level 2

Most of the audio files are from YouTube.  Some have video (which keeps going); others have photographs or slides (such as a webinar).

Others are pre-recorded webinars offered by various entities.

No problems with downloads or uploads.  All are significantly shorter than 23 minutes.  Even huge files are less than 1 minute.

Please advise on what might be causing this.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK.

When audio/video become distorted, is the YouTube player automatically scaling back the quality to something like 240p or 360p rather than the maximum format available? Any difference if you select the highest quality option, and allow that to play as is?

Since this is YouTube, what browser are you using to watch YouTube? Additionally, do you know if the player in use is Adobe Flash or the HTML5 player? This can be determined by right clicking on the video and seeing what the bottom-most option says.

0 Likes
JMC10281
Enthusiast - Level 2

This worked perfectly from March 2008 up until a few months ago.

It's not just YouTube. 

I've never seen any settings on YouTube or the other sources.

Firefox

(Is something (else) wrong with Firefox?)

html5

Chrome has gotten past the 23 min mark on a YouTube video (audio w/photographs).

I don't use MS IE.

0 Likes