Fios connection speed limiting number of wireless devices?
Sharky11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Recently my wireless connection has begun to drop in and out. I notice it mostly on my TV when I'm trying to stream and on one of my laptops. I called Verizon and the tech told me that I have too many devices for my 100Mbps connection.  I have > 15 devices connected, but with only 2 people in the house I find it hard to believe this is correct. When not in use, most of the devices, while connected, aren't doing anything other than background data (phone texts, emails, etc.) I was told it doesn't work that way and given the example that if I have a 100Mbps connection and 10 devices they would be splitting the bandwith with 10Mbps each. I know this is untrue, as Neflix tells me I'm streaming at > 15Mbps. She told me my only solution was to upgrade to Gigabit internet. I think it is the router itself.  My wired connections have no issues. All the wireless devices that are having issues say "Network connected, no internet" as the error message.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios connection speed limiting number of wireless devices?
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try rebooting everything first as well to see if fixes it, no internet is not speed related issue

From your comment "Network connected, no internet" it does sound like something going on with your wireless radio(s). Does that message appear on all wireless connected devices at the same time?

got anything measuring the performance of your network? If you don't get that in place. Some initial thoughts :

- CPU / memory of your equipment -- is the CPU constantly maxed out? Is the RAM?
- how much up and download you're using of your 100Mbit pipe -- are you constantly near or at your maximum pipe limits?
- what is the signal strength you get of your wifi signal? Are there competing wifi signals nearby that is interfering?

If indeed your wired hosts don't have this problem WHEN your wifi host do, seems to point to a wifi specific issue. My next steps would be :

a) ping between an affected wifi host to your router's 192.168.x.x IP address. If successful, move up the chain towards whatever it is on the internet you're trying to get to : Netflix, Google, etc.

b) refer again to my suggestion to measure the wifi signal strength. I'm not talking in stars/bars/good/better/bestest, I mean an actual decibel value. There's several recommended softwares for Android and Windows for this precise purpose.

if I have a 100Mbps connection and 10 devices they would be splitting the bandwith with 10Mbps each.

Not entirely, but understanding that would involve delving deep into how TCP and UDP work. Again, having something to measure how much of your pipe is being used would determine whether you need to upgrade your internet package or not, rather than relying on the ISP's "advice."

Final thought, out of your wifi hosts, the phones obviously cannot be put on a wired connection. Honestly it sounds like the best way to save your sanity is put what you can on wired, leave the rest and deal with it the best you can.

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Q1 What is the brand and model of your router?

Q2 While we get that you have FIOS Internet, do you also have FIOS TV?

Please note for this next question even if you have another one that is not use, you must say so. For example: Yes, but it is a spare.

Q3 Do you have a separate router?

Please note for this next question: One of the NICs must be a wired NIC and it should not be a portable type of computer (ex: a laptop).

Q4 Do you have spare computer that works that either has two NICs or you could add a second NIC?

Sharky11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Q1 What is the brand and model of your router?

Fios Quantum Gateway Router

Q2 While we get that you have FIOS Internet, do you also have FIOS TV?

Yes, FIOS internet, TV and phone.

Please note for this next question even if you have another one that is not use, you must say so. For example: Yes, but it is a spare.

Q3 Do you have a separate router?

No.

Please note for this next question: One of the NICs must be a wired NIC and it should not be a portable type of computer (ex: a laptop).

Q4 Do you have spare computer that works that either has two NICs or you could add a second NIC?

No.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

What specific devices are connected by wireless?

Sharky11
Enthusiast - Level 2

2 Android TVs

1 iPad

1 iPhone

1 Android phone

3 Sonos speakers

1 Chromecast

4 Windows laptops

1 TP Link wifi extender

1 Thermostat

1 Sprinkler controller

2 Sony PS3 (almost always off)

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try rebooting everything first as well to see if fixes it, no internet is not speed related issue

From your comment "Network connected, no internet" it does sound like something going on with your wireless radio(s). Does that message appear on all wireless connected devices at the same time?

got anything measuring the performance of your network? If you don't get that in place. Some initial thoughts :

- CPU / memory of your equipment -- is the CPU constantly maxed out? Is the RAM?
- how much up and download you're using of your 100Mbit pipe -- are you constantly near or at your maximum pipe limits?
- what is the signal strength you get of your wifi signal? Are there competing wifi signals nearby that is interfering?

If indeed your wired hosts don't have this problem WHEN your wifi host do, seems to point to a wifi specific issue. My next steps would be :

a) ping between an affected wifi host to your router's 192.168.x.x IP address. If successful, move up the chain towards whatever it is on the internet you're trying to get to : Netflix, Google, etc.

b) refer again to my suggestion to measure the wifi signal strength. I'm not talking in stars/bars/good/better/bestest, I mean an actual decibel value. There's several recommended softwares for Android and Windows for this precise purpose.

if I have a 100Mbps connection and 10 devices they would be splitting the bandwith with 10Mbps each.

Not entirely, but understanding that would involve delving deep into how TCP and UDP work. Again, having something to measure how much of your pipe is being used would determine whether you need to upgrade your internet package or not, rather than relying on the ISP's "advice."

Final thought, out of your wifi hosts, the phones obviously cannot be put on a wired connection. Honestly it sounds like the best way to save your sanity is put what you can on wired, leave the rest and deal with it the best you can.

Sharky11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Good advice. Thanks for taking the time to reply.