Re: Fios download speed slow
BiggRed12
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm really glad to see my solution is working for so many others! It's my pleasure to pass on what helped me to others. Also t76mach, I'd keep trying until you see some results. You might have gotten another IP address from the same gateway router. 

0 Likes
lilpenny911

Hey BiggRed, I'm getting mixed results.  Speedtest.net shows my speed is back somewhat but I still have slow downloads and streaming videos continue to buffer and not play smoothly like they used to.  What's the first two sets on numbers in your ip address?  for example  94.140.XXX.XXX.  You stated also you had your router replaced also correct.  I will try for another IP and router also if it doesn't work.  Thanks again for your help.

0 Likes
BiggRed12
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well hopefully we can get you back to where you need to be! I received a Rev. F modem and my new IP first two sets are 98.119 if that elps. I would recommend to just keep trying until the desired results are obtained.

As for the streaming videos, are you particularly referencing Youtube? If so, I wouldn't worry about it too much because apparently this is an issue affecting many people. Recently, there has been a change in Youtube's bandwidth policy which causes viewers to only buffer in packets instead of continuously. No longer can we buffer while paused either. Youtube is a thing of the past now a days, which I am currently lamenting over. I wish I had a definite answer about that though as Youtube hasn't released any official statements about it. 

0 Likes
thejellyfish
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yeah my speeds went back down to 3mbps even with the new router haha. I'll give your solution a try. 

*Edit: I'm also in the Long Beach area.

0 Likes
mogurface

I'm getting 1-0 download speed and my upload speed is fine with a 15/5mbps plan. Long Beach also.

Weird it's only happening here.

0 Likes
BiggRed12
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sorry to hear that mogurface! I'd recommend doing the 8 hour reset like before but I wonder what other steps you've taken for troubleshooting? Would your mind posting your tracer test results?

0 Likes
PJs7
Enthusiast - Level 3

unplugging the router to have the DHCP ip refreshed is not necessary. Called the tech center and have them do it while they are on the phone. Get it refreshed while you are working on the problem. Worst part of that is waiting for an available tech........

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@BiggRed12 wrote:

As for the streaming videos, are you particularly referencing Youtube? If so, I wouldn't worry about it too much because apparently this is an issue affecting many people. Recently, there has been a change in Youtube's bandwidth policy which causes viewers to only buffer in packets instead of continuously. No longer can we buffer while paused either. Youtube is a thing of the past now a days, which I am currently lamenting over. I wish I had a definite answer about that though as Youtube hasn't released any official statements about it. 

There is a Userscript (Greasemoney) I use called YousableTubeFix that adds some much-needed functionality to YouTube and also removes that download cap (as in, you can buffer the entire video without it pausing). Search for it at http://userscripts.org/ and select the correct one for your browser (Firefox + Greasemoney = YousableTubeFix, Chrome = YousableTubefix for Chrome, Operate = YousableTubeFix for Opera).

0 Likes
mogurface
Tracing route to www.1.google.com [8.15.7.117]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms     1 ms    <1 ms  Wireless_Broadband_Router.home [192.168.1.1]
  2     6 ms     5 ms     5 ms  L100.LSANCA-VFTTP-118.verizon-gni.net [Edited for Privacy]
  3     8 ms     9 ms     8 ms  G0-5-3-3.LSANCA-LCR-21.verizon-gni.net [130.81.1
82.138]
  4    11 ms     9 ms    10 ms  so-4-1-0-0.LAX01-BB-RTR1.verizon-gni.net [130.81
.151.246]
  5     9 ms     9 ms     9 ms  0.ae1.BR3.LAX15.ALTER.NET [152.63.2.129]
  6     8 ms     9 ms     9 ms  4.68.63.245
  7    10 ms    10 ms    13 ms  vlan90.csw4.LosAngeles1.Level3.net [4.69.144.254
]
  8     9 ms     *       10 ms  ae-93-93.ebr3.LosAngeles1.Level3.net [4.69.137.4
5]
  9    79 ms    78 ms    78 ms  4.69.132.82
 10    82 ms    82 ms    88 ms  ae-91-91.csw4.Washington1.Level3.net [4.69.134.1
42]
 11    87 ms    83 ms     *     ae-44-90.car4.Washington1.Level3.net [4.69.149.1
98]
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 28     *        *

That doesn't seem right...?.. Help? My trace was just fine yesterday.  I've reseted my ONT. Disconected the router for 8 hours. And yet nothing.

0 Likes
lilpenny911

Ok, I wanted to wait a few days before I posted my results but looks like I'm back to normal.  I tried the router reset method overnight one more time and it seems to have worked.  I ran the speedtest.net and all 3 LA test came out 30/25.  I have the 25/25 speed plan.  Thanks again BigRedd.  Hope everyone else gets their speed fixed.  

0 Likes