Fios g3100 router
Spunky12
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a g3100 verizon router.  A friend of mine has the same router and gigabyte speed. My question is when I'm at his home my Samsung  s20 phone shows the #6 next to the wifi icon, when I'm at my home there is no #6 present. Any ideas why not? Same wiring, router, and speeds. Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Fios g3100 router
jonjones1
Legend

Just a guess since I have not seen what you describe.

it maybe there are assignments set in your friends router. Like priority level which as I said is just a guess. Does the phone speed get less via the numbering? Maybe his network was named #6 look at the network SSID and if you see that number then your question is answered.

Spunky12
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for replying.  Its a new thing with the newer phones and these routers. Speeds are the pretty close between my home and his. Its just strange, we have identical system and wiring. When I spoke to Verizon customer service, the woman  basically had no clue. 

I'm just curious why.  Thanks again 

jonjones1
Legend

Ha ha calling customer service for that must have been amusing.

my best guess is the friends router is marked in the SSID (WiFi network) with that number. You must look under the WiFi networks when on their network. If it’s there it’s done by the customer.

if you were to connect to another network not your friends, you don’t see that #6 do you? It’s the network name they set up. They can go into their router and change the network name to something else and I will bet it disappears.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since the WiFi throughputs are close, why do you want a 6 next to the icon? For Samsung device, you should contact their customer service. I don't think G3100 tells the Samsung phone to display "6" next to the icon.

To check the wireless protocol, you can go to the router's GUI to find out for sure. You should see Connection Type as 802.11ax for "WiFi 6."

I am curious what speed do you get on WiFi 6? It should be at least 650Mbps+ I imagine.

jonjones1
Legend

He doesn’t want a #6 next to it.

he said his friends router assigns it to his phone. It does not show on his own G3100

and I doubt WiFi 6 is the issue. I know iPhones can use it. And yesterday I read at dslreports WiFi 6 standard is going along nicely. Not sure if it’s fully accepted yet by the certification organization.

And there are only a few routers that have it, and a few devices that can use it.

0 Likes