Fios in breach of contract
e123456

I have a 50mb/s down/up plan with Verizon Fios. I have had terribly slow speeds the past month or so and decided to run a few speed tests. The results ranged from 26.3 - 50.4 mb/s download, and 0.5 - 26.5 upload. After spending 45 minutes on the phone with a representative, most of the time troubleshooting why I could no longer connect after the representative reset my service, I ran the speed test again: 50.5mb/s download and 22.7 mb/s upload.

At this point I feel that Verizon is in breach of contract, providing less than half the upload service bandwidth that was agreed. I would like to consider cancelling my service, but because Verizon is in breach and has demonstrated their inability to fix the issue, I do not think I should be charged an early termination fee.

0 Likes
Re: Fios in breach of contract
jonjones1
Legend

You have a 50/50 plan so it’s connected via MOCA (coaxial) not ethernet.

you should get around 62/55 depending on if the net is congested.

you must use verizons own speedtest site. You are doing that?

no other speedtest is accepted. Additionally no WiFi is accepted on this testing. So if using WiFi it’s not accepted.

now if your speed is not what it should via verizons speed test and you have not had a tech out to troubleshoot you have no recourse.

now you must have signed a contract, you can leave at anytime but there will be some sort of early termination fee penalty. It varies. If you were to call and say you are canceling it is possible that your next provider will pay the ETF via a gift card. Fios also does this with people leaving cable to Fios.

of course the decision is yours. You will not get away from the termination fee since you are in a contract and maybe actually getting the prescribed speeds.

0 Likes
e123456

"you should get around 62/55 depending on if the net is congested."

OK, so you are saying it should be even faster than the contracted speeds. It's not.

"you must use verizons own speedtest site. You are doing that?"

Yes, and confirmed with several other sites. However why would I ever trust Verizon's speed test on its own. There is an obvious self-interest bias.

"now if your speed is not what it should via verizons speed test and you have not had a tech out to troubleshoot you have no recourse."

So send one out, as long as I don't have to pay for it.

"of course the decision is yours. You will not get away from the termination fee since you are in a contract and maybe actually getting the prescribed speeds."

My goal is not to leave Fios. It is to get good service. Right now I see that I can get 100MB/s as a new Fios customer for less than I am paying now for 50mb/s. I understand I signed a 2-year contract, but if I am paying more and not even getting what I am paying for, then it is a problem. I consistently have issues with internet speeds that I would not expect if i were getting 50/50 (or, as you stated, 62/55) all the time.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi e123456,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please check your Private Message Inbox for a message from Verizon_Support. You can find your Inbox by clicking on your username at the top right corner of this page. Please direct all correspondence concerning your issue to the agents who will be assisting you privately.

0 Likes