Re: Fios internet early termination fee even if I move to NON-verizon area
GoVols64
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just ran into this.  They verify that they cannot provide a service where I am moving and will charge me anyway, don't see how this is ethical.  Does anyone know who to call and fight this?  I would rather pay a lawyer to fight this than cave.  What are they going to do, submit to collections?  

maximuskid
Enthusiast - Level 3

Call them and ask to talk to a manager. Normally like to keep you as a customer even if leave their service and with hope of you coming back later on.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The long and short of it is the written contract entitles them to an ETF.  Verbal statements mean nothing.   They give you the contract when they install the service -- you sign it by reference when you sign the order completion document the installer gives you when they complete the install.  Your moving to a non-servicable area is NOT a result of something Verizon did -- you chose to move (perhaps involuntarily, but you moved nonetheless) to an area they don't service.   As such, you terminated your agreement early -- in the strictest terms, they are entitled to the ETF.

If this was a company move -- it may do well to speak to your employer.  Many will cover this expense as a relocation expense.

If this was simply a move across town or to a different location by your own choosing, then I think you'll save yourself a lot of time and trouble by just paying up and moving on.

However, with that said, as some have pointed out -- occasionally if you get a manager/supervisor having a good day and plead your case politely -- it's been rumored that under some circumstances they may waive the charge for someone who has other services with them.  But, I've never had that experience personally, so I can't speak to the accuracy.

HockeyFan1

If you have Verizon wireless service that's out of contract or ending soon, the savings from switching to Straight Talk

can recover the Fios ETF in 6 - 7 months.  

After that it's all money in your pocket.Smiley LOL

0 Likes
NeverAgainFios

Count me as another victim.  Vz just informed me that I get to pay $100 for the joy of terminating service even though I am moving out of State to a location without service.  My recollection is that I asked the sales person when I signed up if I would have to pay termination if I move and was told no.  Of course, how do I prove that without a recording of the call.  The only thing amusing about this experience is listening to the rep practice some logic he devised (because I am surely not the first to object) as to why this charge makes sense.  I can't repeat it because I can't replicate his delusional thought process.   So Vz, should you be reading, count me out as a future customer (my new home is built in a year and you would be an option).  Also count me out as a cell phone customer.  Basically - just count me out.

0 Likes
THis757

VAlthough you are moving to a Non-verizon area....THey want me to pay 250 for an early termination fee! **bleep**.......I will never get verizon again! for anything...I hate big corporations !!!!!!!!!!!  has no concearn for customer care!!!!! how do you retain people by not catering to people

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Hello THis757

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you.Please go to your profile page for the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.
Under “My Support Cases” you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe".
Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Magnolia4

It's not a matter of legal power, but of honest business. Good business practice would say Verizon would structure their policies to serve their customers as well as their bottom line and investors. We are not talking about dropping service or even moving out of area on a whim.  Most people *want* to continue, but are prevented from doing so because of the way communication companies' territories are assigned by the industry and FCC, etc.

Bottom line:   Verizon's business practices are questionable -- legal, but definitely not moral. 

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

THis757,

We did not hear back from you on your Private Support case. We hope you were able to find resolution to your issue.

If you require further assistance, feel free to make a new post, and we can be sure to look into your issue. As always, we're available for support around the clock.

Thank you,

Anthony

0 Likes
Sudhir2

Hi All

I am also having this same issue.

Last year i was in Pittsburgh and called Verizon to have FiOS installed. Knowing there was a chance I would have to relocate for work in the coming months, I insisted to the salesman that I did not want a long-term contract. However, he ASSURED me that if I relocated to an area that did not have FiOS coverage, I could walk away from the contract without paying the early termination fee.

Now i moved to Seattle and call'd verizon to cancel the service and i am being asked to pay early termination fees. The agent i talked to was rude and was not evening lisening to me. He kept on repeating its my fault and i have to pay early termination fees.

I asked the agent to connect me to his manger, he kept me on hold for about 15 mins and said i will get a call back from his manager in 24 - 48 hrs but i dont trust him. 

In future i have decided not to trust any of the verizon employee or verizon as a company.

Thanks

Sudhir

0 Likes