Re: Fios internet early termination fee even if I move to NON-verizon area
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just try to continue POLITELY ask them if they can waive the termination fee.  They often will.  Also the termination fee goes down incrementally for each month you had the service until it reaches zero after two years.

0 Likes
notspen
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same problem here!  And I'm moving in with my fiancee who is a VA employee and has no choice but to live in this uncovered by verizon area.  This all just happened this morning:

I called initially to terminate the contract and was told that even though I'm moving in with someone who already has cable and internet, I have to keep the services or pay the termination fee.  I got off and then spoke with my fiancee, with whom i'll be moving in come August 1st, and we decided to transfer the services.  So i called back and asked for it to be done.  However, i then learned that they do not offer any service in the area.  Meaning, I have no way to transfer the service, which somehow means to Verizon that I have to pay the cancellation fee. Ridiculous.  I asked for where it states this.

They told me to refer to verbal agreement made by phone with their automated systems and the terms and conditions referenced in the recording to which i agreed. Ms. Lopez, the customer service rep with whom i spoke, told me that the contract states exactly this - that if i move out of the area i still pay.  She then argued that the terms to which i agreed stated it.  However, NEITHER - meaning NOWHERE - state this.  (i've read several posts basically arguing that the contract states that we will have to pay an ETF so we therefore have to pay regardless.  however, ambiguous statements in a contract cannot be magically translated to blanket statements.  Please see below for specifics.)

Verbal Agreement (as read to me by customer service rep Ms. Lopez): 

This agreement ONLY states that we agree to the agreed upon length of time (2 years) and that we will have to pay a $200 prorated ETF if not.  It then asks us to refer to the terms for more specifics.  This is quite literally everything the contract states according to Ms. Lopez.  Meaning, it makes no mention of still having to pay even if moving into an area that is not covered.  Period.

Terms (according to link provided by Ms. Lopez):

Subscribers with Term Plans; Early Termination Fee. EXCEPT AS OTHERWISE SET FORTH IN THIS AGREEMENT, IF YOUR BROADBAND SERVICE OR ANY COMPONENT OF A BUNDLED SERVICE PLAN IS TERMINATED BY YOU OR BY USAS A RESULT OF VIOLATION BY YOU OF THIS AGREEMENT BEFORE COMPLETING YOUR TERM PLAN, THEN YOU AGREE TO PAY VERIZON THE ETF SET FORTH IN THE PRICING PLAN YOU HAVE CHOSEN. If you terminate Service at your location, your existing Term Plan cannot be carried over to a new Service location.

Again, this does not state that even if not available in area to which you move, you will still have to pay an ETF.  Nobody ever agreed to such conditions in their contracts yet Verizon is arguing that you NEVER have the right to terminate without paying based on the statements listed above.  Simply not true.  It's ridiculously advantageous of them to make this argument.  When asked why it didn't state this clause specifically, Ms. Lopez explained that they can't list every reason why one would cancel - problem is, they didn't list any.  not one.  they instead simply argue that with these few statements in both the verbal contract and terms ("any reason"), they are covered and we are required to pay no matter what.  that simply does not follow contract law.

My specific reasons for moving:
I am engaged to an employee of the VA and am moving in with her and her cable and internet services.  She is living in a VA preferred employee building, where she is able to enjoy the benefits that usually complicate a VA employee's living - the possibility of having to transfer to different sites etc.  Her building supports these moves - and will even wave the lease cancelation fee if she has to move - specifically what verizon will not provide for even immediately future spouses of VA employees..  I am both moving in and marrying her and they still won't wave it.

What i then argued:

I took a new approach; I then argued for them to keep my service and simply transfer it to my new address.  They said they can't.  I then asked for them to change it to DSL or even dial up in order to continue the contract and avoid canceling and paying the ETF.  I was told that I couldn't because they don't cover the area.  I then asked them for advice as I have no options left; she advised me to cancel it.  I see this as a failure of them to live up to their end of the contract.  I agree to pay so long as they agree to provide me with service.  I am moving to an area in which they can't and am thereby identifying themselves as the party who is breaking the contract.  I am ready to continue paying and receiving the services so long as you are prepared to deliver them.  They are not.  They are breaking the contract.  Still though, I have to pay the ETF.  

REGARDLESS OF ANY ARGUMENT, I AM DONE WITH VERIZON.  I ENCOURAGE ALL TO DO THE SAME AS THIS COMPANY HAD DESIGNED THEIR TERMS TO BENEFIT ONLY THEM AT THE COST OF THEIR CUSTOMERS.  I WOULD ARGUE THIS ESPECIALLY FOR ALL GOVERNMENT WORKERS AND MILITARY PERSONNEL WHO MAY BE TRANSFERRED OR MAY MARRY SOMEONE WHO MAY FIND THEMSELVES IN THIS SITUATION: VERIZON WILL CHARGE YOU EVEN IF THE GOVERNMENT ASSIGNS OR YOU SIMPLY MOVE TO MARS.

I have found verizon to be completely unreasonable.  I do not see the grounds for their claim to an ETF given their inability to provide me with service nor do i see any value in their argument that the contract addresses this; it simply does not.  They assumed that by stating that canceling would result in an ETF in their contract would be understood as "no matter what" while I assumed this meant "except when they can't cover the area".  See? Due to their ambiguity, they have created a contract open for interpretation and that is NOT contract law.  Period.

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi notspen,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Due to multiple failed attempts to reach you we will be closing this private support case.

If you need further assistance with Verizon service feel free to send us another post.

Thank you,

^Matthew

0 Likes
Lusiphur
Enthusiast - Level 1

I live in Virginia and am moving to Maryland.  I've had the highest tier of tv/phone/data for 3 1/2 years and my thanks for that is a $200 termination fee???  I guess if you ever install in my new neighborhood, you don't want me back as a customer.  

The part that really kills me is that the person buying our home is getting fios, so not only is Verizon not losing anything at this address, they are going to double dip with a ETF for a month.  How do i know they are getting fios service?  Verizon sent me an email telling me.

Come on Verizon, you need to do better!

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lusiphur,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
antonio79
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

Same problem here. I am moving to an area whereFios is not available.

I have never had problems with Fios and very satisfied of service. I am a verizon wireless customer too.

Being sad, I called and spoke to a rapresentative. Same story, they want me to pay the ETF.

They tried to SELL me Direct tv which covers the area. Listen up.

In order to not pay the ETF I should switch to their slow dsl and Direct tv.

Tou may say fine do it.

Nope.

You have to pay the activation fee on both dsl and Direct tv, and listen up the activation fee is MORE EXPENSIVE than the ETF.

So in order to keep being  their "faithfull" client, and not paying the ETF, they offered me a greater activation fee in my new location

THIS IS RIDICULOUS.  

It's stealing poor amerecan workers.

SuchlikeCoder68
Enthusiast - Level 1

It appears as though I am not alone on this. I have been a LOYAL Verizon customer with both residential and business accounts in my name. When we started the buying process for our new home I immediately began to call Verizon sales to set up a service for when we finally moved (two weeks out). I got tossed around by 13 different sales agents who all said that they were contacting Engineering because the address was not yet put in their system AND ensured me that Engineering would be able to place my new address in the system! Not only did engineering not get back to me (as i was told that they would) but i continued to call and just ask for answers so that I knew what was going on. Again, bounced around the different tiers of service. I am now only a few days out (and i work A LOT out of my house being an engineer myself) and now because i gave Verizon the benefit of the doubt and tried for so long I am unable to get a new service installed in time for my move to the new house AND my work will suffer greatly because of it. However, it doesn't end there! I was whacked with an early termination fee FOR BEING A LOYAL AND CONCERNED CUSTOMER! I spoke with a supervisor who continued to explain to me how she has a strict policy about early termination fees and refused to say anything except for "I hope you have a nice day sir sorry you wont be staying with us". Is that the type of service a customer is to expect? 

I can assure you Verizon that I have just pulled ALL OF OUR SERVICES (BUSINESS AND RESIDENTIAL) from you. I will NEVER RETURN TO VERIZON even when your service becomes available in my area! I even explained how i had hoped to return to Verizon once they laid the FIOS in our area. She did not care! Well I promise you I will make sure EVERY PERSON in this apartment complex (300+ apartments) is aware of this service you have provided and make sure that no one else has to go through this TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE! What a terrible business motto! Rather than helping a customer out now you'd rather lose out on large amounts of business. Shame~! 

"Have a great evening!" 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
Before fios! When dsl was their flagship product you could do exactly what you are talking about with respect to the early termination fee. I'm not sure who when or why it changed but I haven't seen anyone get out of the etf for those reasons anymore. That's been true for close to 10 yes. The TOS you are quoting states of "terminated" and doesn't contain "if" statements or exclusions. I wish it did. It seems fair and the right thing to do.
0 Likes
akhawker

Guess I'm another to add to the list.

We're moving to a town that has no FIOS.  I HATE comcast with a fiery passion, but unfortunately they're the only ones that service the area unless I want to downgrade to verizon DSL and direcTV, which I don't.  I called verizon and they said I'm expected to pay $160 for THEIR inability to provide me service?!?!  

This is reprehensible!!  I'm shocked!!  

I had verizon DSL in 2003, and when I moved to a non-dsl area I didn't have any sort of fee.  I am astounded at their unbelievable greed.  Is there any company left in this forsaken country that doesn't worship the almighty dollar???  Any company that cares one iota about it's customer base???

Anyways, I digress.  As anyone with half a brain knows, DSL is NOT comparable to FIOS no matter what they try and tell you.  We have around 20 different devices that connect to the internet at any given time, a load DSL will not be able to handle without obvious slowdown.  Oh, and that whole pesky "above ground wires" thing.  IN MASSACHUSETTS.  (hint: my fury concerns winter weather)

I am livid, to say the least, and I plan to fight this tooth and nail.  How is it even remotely ethical to charge a fee for a service YOU CAN'T PROVIDE when you signed a contract stating you would?!  

I've tried talking to the chat reps, one of whom said (in writing) that I shouldn't have a problem getting the fee waived (and yes, I took a screenshot!)

but the next guy said it wouldn't be a problem because we COULD get FIOS.  He instructed me to type in our address, and when the webpage asked to correct the address (to another address in another city!!) to accept it the new address and continue.  Seriously.  I have that one screenshotted as well, just out of pure disbelief in the stupidity.

I am seriously in disbelief at how far down hill verizon has gone.  I had my first cell plan with them many years ago, and I had dsl when I moved out of my parents house (again, many years ago lol) and I never had a problem then.  Now? 

I would like someone to fix this so I don't have to spend hours and hours fighting this.  Hours and hours of time I could use to pack and move my home and FOUR young kids.

Ugh.

0 Likes