Re: Fios internet early termination fee even if I move to NON-verizon area
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi akhawker,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
akhawker
Thanks. I just checked and there's no further information but i will be checking back frequently. Hopefully we can get this resolved and this isn't just some "look good on the forum but won't fix anything behind the scenes" kind of tactic. I used to work in customer relations, I know the backganded techniques they use
0 Likes
amberr88
Enthusiast - Level 1

Wow it seems with all these comments Verizon is making a killing and not even providing the service...How is this legal really? I was forced out of my home due to sell of property so i call Verizon to transfer there crapy service at that, interuptions in service and such just till my contract was up in 2015 and they dont service the area i am moving to....

They are charging me a $90.00 cancellation fee...Remind you my bill has been over $200.00 a month for the past year and 1/2 we like to rent movies but would only rent 1 per month and still my bill was rediculouse. the fact is this should be illegal they cant provide me with the service so isnt that considered as breach in contract on there behalf....we need to put a stop to these companys that do this to there good customers I will never ever go back to verizon EVER! I have been a customer of theres since they came out with Cell phones and now they just lost my loyalty over the $90.00 and the automatic Red Zone fee that i dont even get to enjoy this last bill was $317.89 Never again Direct TV is the bomb they understood my situation so there working with me on bill payment and dont want anything upfront and like someone else said if they can not provide me with the service they will not charge me AT&T said the same thing and yes i have that in writing they also think it should be against the law for Verizon to do that if they cant provide me with the service....

0 Likes
Sossena
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just like many people in this forum when I first signed up, I specifically told the Verizon agent that I should be moving in a month time and what would be the impact on the terms: what he told me was that I could move the service provided there is a FIOS service at the new address if not (no FIOS service at the new address) then the contract will be cancelled without any termination fee.

It just happened that there was no FIOS service at the new address I moved to. Thus when I asked Verizon to cancel the service I was told that will have to pay the early termination fee of $165.

I was on the phone with Verizon for almost one full day but to no avail.

It is really amazing to see that so many people were faced with exactly the same type of problem (it looks like Verizon is giving wrong information to lure customers to sign up for their service. But once it is done the reality turns out to be completely different). I wonder if there is an entity/body to whom we can appeal to so that they could look into this matter closely.

unhappyexclient

Looks like I am not the only one who seems to be upset by this. I understand fully that it is in the contract and I am obligated to pay this absurd fee. I don’t agree with it but will pay it because there doesn’t seem to be a choice in the matter. I was only a FIOS customer for a short time and because of unforeseen circumstances I have to move and to an area that they don’t support. FOR THAT REASON ALONE I HAVE TO TERMINATE MY CONTRACT. If they provided service in my new neighborhood I would have kept it because until now I have been happy with the service. I have been a Verizon wireless customer for over 10 years and will happily eat whatever termination fee they throw my way because I will no longer be a Verizon customer and I will no longer give the high praise I have done in the past when people ask my opinion of their service. ALL BECAUSE OF A $160 FEE THAT THEY REFUSE TO WAIVE. I spoke to 3 different managers and none of them are willing to budge. This must be a huge revenue generator for them because they are willing to loose long time loyal customers over a silly little fee. It’s not the $160 fee ... I make that in the first 10 minutes of my work day ... it is the pure principal of it. I am not terminating my contract because I found something better or just decided I didn’t want it anymore ... ITS BECAUSE THEY CANT PROVIDE SERVICE TO WHERE I AM MOVING. If I were canceling for any other reason I would pay the fee willingly because it would be my fault not theirs. Since I used to be a long time loyal customer you would think a little leeway would be in order here but that is just simply not the case.

Very upset and unhappy but screwed anyways ... I feel a little better now that I got to vent and hope someone at a high level of management sees this and realizes that I am probably not the only one and this can’t be good for business.

0 Likes
dss_610

I just received a call from the collectors for Verizon. First off the gentleman was extremely rude and kept over talking me.

I recently relocated to GA with my job and when I originally contacted Verizon to cancel services they informed me that I would be subject to an ETF. I proceeded to explain that this was a job related move and that I had already researched that service was not available in the area. The agent informed me that I would still have to pay the fee. I then asked how fair is that to a loyal customer of over 10 years. The reason I had to sign a new contract was because I dropped the phone service (that I never used) that I had been paying for 4 years. The agent reiterated the fact that I needed to pay the fee. I then asked the agent if this was a military move would I have to pay. The agent informed me that military personnel is not required to pay if they are being stationed in an area that does not offer services. I then said, well why is it different for any job related move to a non-Verizon service area. They had no answer for me.

I fully understand the reasoning behind ETF's, however, to require a fee to be paid because service is not available is not only unethical, it is just plain WRONG. It is not my fault that the area I am moving to does not offer services. I would have gladly moved my services with me if I could.

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

You are moving and given that FIOS is not allowed to provide service everywhere, whose fault is it then?

0 Likes
MichaelLusk

I too find it absolutely crazy that Verizon will not waive the ETF if you are moving to an area that does not offer FIOS services.  My job has taken me to a new location and I'm not simply trying to switch to get a better deal.  I spoke with a supervisor on the phone and they absolutely won't budge on the ETF even though another employee who called me to verify if I was moving said we could probably get the fee waived.  They only waive the fee for military personnel when they move.  Cable companies are already making a lot of money on overpriced television and internet services and it feels like now they are just stealing more money out of my pocket.  I am out on FIOS because they don't have service in Colorado and I am probably going to drop my Verizon cell service now as well.  My Verizon service in the Colorado Springs area has been pretty terrible.  Just another company that seems more concerned with making money than offering outstanding customer service.  I'm cutting the cord, I'm out on cable and satellite, time to save some money with Hulu and Netflix.  

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

Cell phone companies have done the same in the past.  You get a cheaper subsidized rate and/or a free phone for agreeing to pay them for a period of time (i.e. 2 years).  If you leave early regardless of reason, moving, someone else is offerring a better deal, they want that subsidy back.  You didn't have to sign up for that cheaper subsidized deal when you got service initially, but since YOU did, and YOU do not want to honor the contract, why are you suprised they want that money back?

BrandyInCA
Enthusiast - Level 1

How disappointing. One year ago I signed up for FIOS because it was the only option in my building when I moved to a new area. The terms were a 2 year agreement. Fine. It is one year later and I am relocating for work. I called Verizon to transfer my service--turns out they do not service my new area and I am subject to a $160 termination fee. Let me be clear--I am not terminating my service. The service is no longer available to me. I would love keep FIOS--it is not an option. I am unclear on why I am still bound to the termination fee. I spoke a woman who was definitely reading a script and was quite unhelpful. When I asked to speak to a supervisor or manager, she put me on hold, came back and said that everyone else will just tell me the same thing. I insisted on speaking to someone and was put back on hold. Over 30 minutes later she promised someone would call me back. I am doubtful that someone will call me back. I have been a customer of Verizon for over 15 years! I have never terminated a contract, or even complained about the multitude of changes that have occurred in their terms over the years. It is really disappointing to be treated this way as a loyal consumer. Verizon, if you're reading this, please call me back and please do what you can to support and keep a customer who has been faitful to you for nearly 2 decades. I know this post is marked as "Solved," and I read the "Solve..." it's not so much a solve as a financial rationalization.