Fios internet early termination fee even if I move to NON-verizon area
groove311

I called verizon to avoid the termination fee because I'm moving to a NON-verizon area. The agent clearly stated I will be charged a termination fee.

After that, to verify things I chatted with a verizon agent and the following she said:

Sharon(13:22:03): Please call customer service disconnects at (800) 837-4966; you will not be charged an early termination fee if there is not service where you are moving to.

Then, I called verizon again and talked to agent Steve, asked why verizon representatives are telling me different

things on early termination fees and he says he didn't know why but the policy is that you will be charged a fee even if u move to where there is no service.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios internet early termination fee even if I move to NON-verizon area
db909
Contributor - Level 3

Cell phone companies have done the same in the past.  You get a cheaper subsidized rate and/or a free phone for agreeing to pay them for a period of time (i.e. 2 years).  If you leave early regardless of reason, moving, someone else is offerring a better deal, they want that subsidy back.  You didn't have to sign up for that cheaper subsidized deal when you got service initially, but since YOU did, and YOU do not want to honor the contract, why are you suprised they want that money back?

View solution in original post

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

If you are moving to an area where Verizon does not offer service, you should be able to get the ETF waived. This has been done in the past and there is no reason they wouldn't do it again for you.

0 Likes
mleduc35651
Contributor - Level 2

They recently changed the rules. It may depend on when you locked in.. If you move to a non-fios area you are still subject to the ETF unless you order at least a plain old phone line from verizon.

0 Likes
RAYMON
Enthusiast - Level 1

If a NEW user in California cancels  because they are unhappy with the service - what termination fees are involved.

0 Likes
pdpower

I also ran into the same problem. I am moving to a place which is non-verizon area. And still the lady from verizon wants to charge me an early termination fee.

Any one know what we consumers can do to fight back?

0 Likes
Re: Fios internet early termination fee even if I move to NON-Verizon area
ETF1

They did the same with me.

When I ordered the service - the agent on chat said that there is no early termination fee if you move to non veriozn service area. But now the customer service is telling there is going to be ETF. I also mentioned that I am ready to move from Fios normal high speed internet (which is available in new service location). But she said I need to pay ETF no matter what.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Consumers can start by reading the contract which is given to them when they sign up for service ... while I feel for you, it's not like it wasn't disclosed in writing.   Since you say you had a chat ... was this online?   Did you save the transcript of this chat?  If so, then I would produce that for the customer service folks.   Without it ... it's your word against theres and I doubt you'll get anywhere.

As for the person referencing a "move to FiOS" ... are you indicating that you're a current DSL customer and want to move up to FiOS?   If so, I wouldn't think Verizon would object at all to that.  It's a service enhancement and I suspect they would easily waive the fee.   However, if you have DirectTV, you need to understand that you made a contract with DirectTV, and not Verizon (Verizon just partnered to bring the service) and you're not likely to make any headroom there.

It's a tough lesson to learn ... but the first question I always ask in situations like this is "show me where it says that in writing".   If they can't produce it, then it isn't true regardless of what an agent or, more often than not, someone selling services on commission who may or may not be a Verizon person, may say.  If they do produce it -- well then you have the document to file away for later reference to show them when they indicate other terms apply.

cwirth

I was in a similar situation with DirecTV last year and was easily able to get out of ETF. It's pretty simple:

You signed a contract to pay for their services listed on said contract. If you move to somewhere that they are unable to provide these services, they are in breach of contract. They can't force you to pay for services when they can no longer offer them to you.

For my DirecTV I just had a technician come out and sign off that there is no longer line of sight to the satellite on my dish and they instantly waived my ETF.

0 Likes
chileheadcraig

I am in the same boat.  The rep told me that I have to pay the ETF no matter what even though I was told previously that I would not be required to pay if I moved to an area where their services are not offered.  This guy went further to say that "even if" they could waive it, that it cannot be done until you are actually billed.  They can only make adjustments to bills, not prevent you from getting billed.  Not sure if its a delay tactic or for real, but I'll be calling back for sure once they try to hit me with that.  Thing is I have been pretty happy with the FIOS TV and internet and wish they offered it where I'm going but they dont.  Why is that my problem?

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

There's another approach you can take. 

VZ recently sent an email announcing a change to VZ's Terms Of Service (TOS) effective 4/19.  However, this email did not go out until 4/22.  Simply call VZ and tell them you do not not agree to the change in the TOS.

If they give you any grief, point out to them it is illegal to retroactively makes changes to the TOS and you must be given a reasonable period to opt-out if you do not agree to the changes.  They must allow you to terminate your service without an ETF, if you do not agree to the change in terms.

Effective April 19, 2011 - Important Information Regarding Changes to Your Verizon Online Terms Of Service

The following is an outline of important changes to the Verizon Online Terms of Service which are effective as of April 19, 2011.  We have described these changes in general terms below and recommend that you review the complete Terms of Service to determine how these changes, and other routine changes being made simultaneously, apply to you or your use of the Service. The Terms of Service can be accessed by clicking on the following link:
www.myverizon.com/verizononlineterms. The Terms of Service, as revised, will govern your rights and obligations, and ours, with respect to your use of the Services we offer. As set forth in Section 3 of the Terms of Service, your continued use of the Service after the effective date of these changes will constitute your agreement to the changes.

1. Primary Email Address for Terms of Service Notices.  We have updated our Terms of Service to specify that any future email notices we send you concerning revisions to either the Terms of Service or to your Verizon Online services will be sent to the primary email address you provide us.  Specifically, we have defined a new term, “Primary Email Address” as the email address you provide to receive communications from Verizon and have updated Sections 3, 10.4, 14.1 and Attachment B, Section 1.4 of the Terms of Service to reflect this new term.  You can confirm or change your Primary Email Address anytime by visiting My Verizon at myverizon.com.

2. Toll Free Number for Reporting Security Incidents Involving Lost or Stolen Login Credentials.  Section 10.3 has been updated to include a toll free number for reporting incidents relating to lost or stolen Verizon login credentials.

3. Home Router Password Changes. Section 10.4 was updated to clarify that Verizon may in limited instances modify administrative passwords for home routers in order to safeguard Internet security and our network, the security and privacy of subscriber information, to comply with the law, and/or to provide, upgrade and maintain service.  The administrative password for your home router is used to access the “administrative” controls for the router and to make changes to your router’s internal settings.  We will use reasonable means to notify Subscribers whose home router administrative passwords are changed, which may include email notice to your Primary Email Address and/or an announcement on the My Verizon portal.

4. Paperless Billing. Sections 8.1 and 8.2 have been modified to add additional terms relating to Paperless Billing.  The remaining subsections in Section 8 remain unchanged, except for their numbering.

5. Prohibited Activities on My Verizon Customer Portal.  A new Section 11.8 was added to clarify that certain activities are prohibited in connection with the

use of the My Verizon customer portal, including use of data mining robots, interference with the proper functioning of My Verizon, unauthorized framing techniques, and unauthorized use of Verizon trademarks.  Please see the Terms of Service for additional details on prohibited activities.