Fios internet early termination fee even if I move to NON-verizon area

Fios internet early termination fee even if I move to NON-verizon area

SOLVED
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Message 51 of 57
(4,737 Views)

Why should they waive the fee?

Especailly if you are moving to an area they won't get any more revenue from?

If they waived it for everyone, then they might as well remove it.

You got the advantage of having a fixed rate on your pricing.

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
Contributor jrodrigues25
Contributor
Message 52 of 57
(4,700 Views)

I have been a FIOS customer for roughly about five years now. Once it was available in my area I immediatly switch and have been very happy with the service and the price I pay. Now for the first couple of years I stayed off of a contract because I have always been leary about signing a contract for service. However back in September of 2013 when I set up a triple play at my new apartment I got talked into do a two year contract. I specifically asked the agent I was on the phone with what happens if I move to a area that does not have fios, will I be charged the ETF. To which he responded with if you move to a area that does not support fios, then we can not hold you responsible for the etf. That is the only reason I agreed. Then back in August I had to move from my apartment to another, and was convinced by the agent to start my contract anew since I was moving and asked the question again, was told the same thing that I would not be held liabl.e if I moved to a area they could not provide service too. I called today to cancel my service, because my landlord has kicked us out of our apartment and I have to move in with my inlaws in a town where fios is not ovffered. After being told the same thing multiple times by the agent I escalated the matter to a supervisor who became extremely rude to me. The final question I asked him was that if I lost my home due to a fire and I was homeless would I be charged a ETF? To which he replied yes. Now I have been in a customer service enviornment for well over a decade and if I found out any of my employees had treated my customers like this they would not have a job anymore. Never in my life have I dealt with such a rude agent who refused to work with me at all. Thbis matter is completely out of my hands, and I have no choice but to move. If fios was offered I would gladly continue my service as I feel their service is the best in this state. However their customer service is lacking. After doing alot of reading and reasearch, I have seen many people complaining of this, and some of these people had their ETF's cancelled while others havent. This tells me one thing, they have a quota, and I'm sure it goes against their bonsues so they are very reluctant to let someone off the hook. Though when it comes down to circumstances where they are not able to offer someone service due to a situation like this cancel the contract. Its another thing if someone is just dcancelling their service to goto another company.

Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II
Message 53 of 57
(4,684 Views)

Dude, TL;DR....buy a few paragraphs at least!

Contributor NJL
Contributor
Message 54 of 57
(1,651 Views)

Glad to see I'm not alone in my VZ misery.  Similar brutal experience trying to use "logic" with multiple customer service reps:  

I wanted to change my account from a TV bundle to just Fios internet, 42 days after getting my first Fios internet/tv bundle (you get a 30 day grace period from the ETF, but no one will tell you that until after you missed the grace period including the original sales rep who duped me into a bundle I never wanted - he also forgot to mention the ETF agreement, shocker!).  

Not only would the reps not switch me to just the Fios internet package that I wanted; they also threatened me with the $220 ETF.  I explained that I really wanted to be a customer still, but if I can't switch my package that it's more economical for me to just cancel the whole service and switch providers (even w/ the fee).  I even did the 3rd grade math for the reps: 4 months * $59/month internet w/ me as a customer = greater than a one-time $220 fee, but still no reasoning.   Ended up paying the fee because I couldn't take anymore robotic and nonsensical responses citing fine print agreements that nobody ever reads.  

I highly advise staying away from Fios.  There's nothing better about it, and my experience was far worse than any of the headaches experienced with cable.  Back to TWC (no contracts, cheaper, same service) for good and also going to cancel the family Verizon Wireless plan.  When you cancel Fios, they'll try to sell you on the same snake oil that their ads are built on (speeds that you don't need - we stream 2 apple TVs and multiple handhelds w/o issue on TWC - and tell you cable has data caps even though they don't exist anymore), but stick to your gut and you'll be thankful after switching.

I've never publicly complained about something like this and understand the costs of running a business, but this is legitimately the worst customer experience I've ever had, to the point that I now go out of my way to tell family and friends to avoid Verizon like the plague.  Not worth it.  Hope the $220 was worth a lost customer for a lifetime.

Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Message 55 of 57
(1,645 Views)

You signed the contract.

Why should they let you out?

What if everyone wanted out?

You chose a contract for price stability and discounts.

Will twc (or any other provider) promise to keep rates the same for 2 years?

Doubtful.

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
Contributor ParagLohiya
Contributor
Message 56 of 57
(1,031 Views)

comcast how is biggest provide in US with so much problems in customer care also does not charge ETF if they can't provide service.

Same with cell phone companies when they had 2 year contract. If you are moving out of country where they can't provide you service they use to end contract without any termination fees and would unlock the device also.

Moderator Moderator
Message 57 of 57
(1,028 Views)

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the board that best matches the subject of your message. Thanks!

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.