Fios internet outages
ryac

I recent switched from Xfinity (only internet) to Fios (only internet).

The only equipment used for install were two Fios Network Adapters. One located in the basement, and one connected to my coax. I had been using a wireless router that worked with xfinity, and I couldn't think of a reason it wouldn't work with the network adapter (which kind of replaces a modem).

The technician checked the internet speed and it was about 100mbs as expected. He noticed that the network was having a hard time finding my router information, but the interent was connected so there didn't seem to be a problem.

Within a few hours of the technician leaving, the internet stopped working for several hours. I reset each device separately, and went down to the basement to reset that device, and nothing was working. There were also no outages reported in my area.

The next day, the internet came back and seemed normal. I came home in the afternoon, and within a few hours it was not working, no matter which devices I reset. The fios troubleshooter kept saying that there were no connectivity issues.

I start thinking that this has something to do with my wireless router (Netgear R6300 wifi router). So I used another router to test the connection (Motorola ac1700 wifi gigabit router mr1700). It seemed to work. But within a few hours, the internet completely disconected again. This time, resetting only the wifi router was successful sometimes but not others.

On my profile on verizon.com I get an error message under "My Network" for both of my routers that reads "There was an error in retrieving your router information."

I feel like I have narrowed this problem down to how my network adapter is connecting to my wifi router, but I have no idea what to do about it.

Thanks in advance for anyone's help!

0 Likes
Re: Fios internet outages
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is this what is installed in your basement? And what did they install on you coax. A router?  All they would really need to install is this picture which is the ont which connects to the fiber from outside then ethernet from there to the wan port of your R6300. There's really no reason to have any adapter before your router. 

0 Likes
ryac

Yes that's in my basement and then there's a network adapter that is connected to my coax upstairs. The network adapter then plugs into my router with an ethernet cable. Hopefully that makes sense

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The one in the basement is the ont which converts the fiber to ethernet or coax to plug in your router. You can technically go from that ont in the basement to your netgear router with ethernet. And not use the equipment they put in upstairs. Not sure how difficult to get ethernet from the ont in your basement to your router but maybe that's why they used the coax instead of running ethernet. Its tough to say what the problem is but it could be the ont or the coax or even the router. Does the ont have any red lights on it?

0 Likes