Fios modem stops working
EliteMikeS
Enthusiast - Level 2

Generic title, I know sorry.

For a while now I've noticed that my router stops functioning.  At first I thought it was only DNS as I can continue to browse sites/applications that are open.  I switched to Google DNS to hopefully fix that.  What I didn't realize is that I can't even access the router via IP on my network when this issue happens.  I can ping the router though. A router reboot "solves" the issue but this is nothing short of frustrating as my modem is not in an easily accessable spot.

Has anyone experienced anythign like this.  I'd like to just have my router act as the modem and nothing more so that I can use a good router. I don't have fios TV so the negatives of doing so are not a problem

0 Likes
Re: Fios modem stops working
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have fios tech support chabge the provisioning of your ONT to ethernet  takes 15 minutes or so on the phone with them.

Then you get rid of the Verizon router all together and just connect your own.

0 Likes
EliteMikeS
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'd like to, just no easy way for me to run ethernet now. I might consider pulling the baseboard off to make it happen though

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Couple of things:

1) FIOS devcie is a rotuer not a modem

2) When it quites working, do you get any error lights on router?

3) If you get an error indication, try contacting support. Could be your router is failing.

EliteMikeS
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks,

I see no difference in lights on the router when broken vs working.

It makes sense that it's not a router now.  I didn't realize that the ONT could be configured to use ethernet.

0 Likes
Re: Fios router stops working
EliteMikeS
Enthusiast - Level 2

So i had verizon swap out my router.  Once I did that I ran it as the router out of the box for a day before I bridged it to a new Asus RT-AC5300.  This router is a beast.  I don't think i'm having issues with the router, but I am having some issues with xbox one only.  It may be that I spend the most time in front of the xbox one to notice problems.

Hulu on xbox one simply won't play some videos, sometimes they play for a few minutes then throw a network error. No buffering issues, they just stop.  I can watch them on the PCs no problem.  I seem to be able to do other things on the xbox one with no issues either.  I can't restart these videos either, they'll play for 5 seconds then throw a hard stop error.  Hulu support was trying to assist but I've gotten no where. I have 2 xbox ones that do the same thing.

Netflix is havnig some issues as well, occasinally the video just stops with no buffering occuring. 

Pingtest.net is giving me a B* on my wired desktop.

Speedtest.verizon.net is giving me 58.22/64.56 I don't think speed is ever an issue.

I"m looking for any suggestions before taking the actiontec out of bridge mode to rule out the new router.  It's possible I'm running into the same problem as before except the asus can recover without a reboot.  Since the 2 routers aren't side by side it's not something I'm looking forward to doing.   Bridge mode was easier and cleaner for me than getting ethernet from ONT.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

How did you bridge it?

0 Likes
EliteMikeS
Enthusiast - Level 2
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

What are you trying to accomplish?

If you don't have TV service, you don't need FIOS rotuer.

Just connect via ethernet to ONT.

If you have TV service, it is best to have FIOS router be the primary.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@EliteMikeS wrote:

I followed these steps

http://www.dbuggr.com/smallwei/verizon-fios-actiontec-router-mi424-wr-bridge/

Hmm, just wondered as earlier on in the thread you said you had no way of running ethernet cables when it was suggested that you just switch your provisioning to ethernet but somehow the ac router is connected via ethernet.

0 Likes