Fios - moving
Balt34
Enthusiast - Level 1
I don't understand why I'm being given an early termination fee when Fios does not exist in my new neighborhood. Saying that I'm "breaking the contract" by "choosing a house that is not in a Fios neighborhood" is insane. When I signed up for Fios it was not explained to me in this fashion. Is it really fair to have to have a law degree to be aware of these issues? Perhaps a social media blitz on this issue will help my cause.
Re: Fios - moving
JackieW2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Honey, I've been wondering the same thing! I have never, not ever, dealt with a company such as this! I agree with you 100%! Get together enough members to do the same, and maybe they will have to change this idiotic rule! Good luck with it!

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Most service providers now have ETFs. Can't say if they all do this even if you move out of their area, but I would expect some do.

My guess is this way they don't have to worry about making you prove you have actually moved vs just saying you have moved. Imagine the overhead on their part waiting for you to supply documentation to prove it.

I can get a PO Box in anohter town for fairly cheap. Would that be enough?

Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

@Balt34 wrote:
I don't understand why I'm being given an early termination fee whenFios does not exist in my new neighborhood. Saying that I'm "breaking the contract" by "choosing a house that is not in aFios neighborhood" is insane. When I signed up forFios it was not explained to me in this fashion. Is it really fair to have to have a law degree to be aware of these issues? Perhaps a social media blitz on this issue will help my cause.

Unfortunately when you created your Verizon user account the Terms of Service state there is a early termination fee if you terminate your contract. it only applies to your current address, so if you move out of a Fios area you have to pay the fee.

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@Telcoguru wrote:

@Balt34 wrote:
I don't understand why I'm being given an early termination fee whenFios does not exist in my new neighborhood. Saying that I'm "breaking the contract" by "choosing a house that is not in aFios neighborhood" is insane. When I signed up forFios it was not explained to me in this fashion. Is it really fair to have to have a law degree to be aware of these issues? Perhaps a social media blitz on this issue will help my cause.

Unfortunately when you created your Verizon user account the Terms of Service state there is a early termination fee if you terminate your contract. it only applies to your current address, so if you move out of a Fios area you have to pay the fee.

And the real issue, to me is that users like Balt34 think they can go ahead and sign any legal document and then, at their convenience, they will be absolved of the agreement they put their signature on.

Maybe Verizon should put a line in bold print and right over the signature box saying "by signing this you understand and agree that there will be an early termination fee if you cancel before you contract expires, even if you move."   But even without that, you sign it you're bound by it.

Caveat emptor.

Kel32
Enthusiast - Level 2
Moving in with family since our house sold. Verizon won't let us put our service on hold for a few months until we find a house. I would have stayed a Verizon customer after we moved, but not after this poor service.
0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you know you are going to move in to house that offers FIOS, you might be able to suspend your service.

Check out this link: http://www.verizon.com/support/residential/tv/fiostv/general+support/account+issues/questionsone/130...

Kel32
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks so much. I did call and they said I can suspend my account, but I need an address in order for them to do that. Problem is I don't have a new address yet...but at least this Verizon rep was willing to work with me to find a solution. I wasn't trying to get out of the contract, just wanted to suspend it until we moved to our next address.

Thanks.

0 Likes