Fios rollout Schedule ? Contra Costa County , California
Cody212
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry if there is a schedule , and I just can't find it with the SEARCH ..

Is there a published rollout schedule of FIOS in various areas?  Seems like it's available in a LOT of places around California and wondering if Contra Costa county areas are scheduled?  (I'm very close to dumping AT&T & DirectTV).

thanks

0 Likes
Re: Fios rollout Schedule ? Contra Costa County , California
bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

I have no actual statement from Verizon that this is true, but I've seen several postings here from people who have said that Verizon has given up on new FIOS installations and instead is focusing on 4G to replace it.  The stated reason is that it's just too expensive to install fiber optic cable. My guess is that if your area does not currently have FIOS cables installed either on poles or underground then it never will.

0 Likes
Cody212
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, that's too bad really ...  we certainly do not have underground utilities in our hood ... I've looked into the 4G "Jet Pack" internet hotsopt and frankly, not impressed. It has horrible reviews from users who have 1st hand expereince - "works OK", "basic browsing & email - but not streaming without a lot of drops", etc ...   Nice idea that just doesn't work well is what I came away with. That and it's ourageously expensive --   $19.95 / month for the service + $50 / month fo 5GB data !  That $70 / month + taxes.

We can get basic DSL from AT&T for $30 / month that is more than adequate (we don't do VOD or much streaming anyway), and that's unlimited data.

So just can't justify Verizon's "solution" to DSL ro Internet services ...

Thanks for your reply.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
I thought AT&T recently capped their DSL service to 150 Gigabytes a month, and 250 Gigabytes for U-Verse users. Ether way, if AT&T is your local Telephone company, I would never expect FiOS to be put in where you are. Sorry to be the bearer or bad news, but Verizon rarely overbuilds. Thanks for recognizing the scam HomeFusion and other LTE/3G services are made out to be though, kudos to you! It's also too bad LTE in it's current form does not peak or touch 100Mbps so it is by definition not 4G.
0 Likes
Cody212
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your input. We'll mush aling with AT&T for now.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

what about netzero's 10$ a month 4g offering?

0 Likes
Cody212
Enthusiast - Level 2

Didn't know of it ... I'll check into it .. Thanks

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

it looks pretty neat if they offer it,  either a one time charge of 49 bux for a usb wireless stick, or 99 for a 8 user mifi adapter, and then after that it's the monthly.  as low as free if you're a real light user, or 9 dollars and up   great prices and good alternative for users that aren't in a fios area.   

0 Likes
Cody212
Enthusiast - Level 2

Looked at the offering ...  not really that "inexpensive" as a replacement for our $25/mo. (unlimited) DSL.  I mean, 1GB for $20/month ?  hmmm ...  the other are that would concern me is it's just a 4G wireless - if the Verizon offering (JetPack) is doubful or problematic, I can't see how this wouldn't be as well ...  thanks though ...

0 Likes