Fios speed is not as advertised
Bulldog1199
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the gigabit access but I never test above 600 or 650 no matter what test site I use. Download will vary but is usually 850 to 900. That is close enough but 6 or 650 isn’t what I’m paying for.  I know they don’t guarantee speed but this isn’t right.   I have used there wifi6 router installed in front of my main router to test and get that speed and I use a ASUS Gt-AX11000 which has more than enough to handle gigabit access installed in front of the fios router because I still use there tv service and I get the same thing.  I’ve reset the ont and I’ve used the web site to get everything reset and no improvement. Anyone have any suggestions. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios speed is not as advertised
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

From the technical perspective, Verizon speed test records the highest "instantaneous" speed in a given period of time. Your GPON line might be saturated and the OLT is only able to transfer at gigabit speed for splits of seconds from time to time. A GPON line from the CO is shared among 32 or more customers. The total throughput of a GPON line is 2.5G/1.2G, if there are 3 gigabit users on a single GPON line, nobody will get gigabit constantly. I recommend you to ask a service representative to check the saturation of your GPON line. If your GPON line is indeed saturated, your ONT might need to be migrated to a separate GPON line or the line techs from your local CO would need to pull a new line.

If you never use a gigabit subscription to its full capacity, I recommend you to downgrade to 500 or 300Mbps. My household started at 100/100, then 940/880 was cheaper in 2017, then now 500/500 on Mix and Match.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you testing speeds on a wireless connection? If so. can you test the speeds again on gigabit Ethernet connection? It is rare to see WiFi 6 (802.11ax) 2 x 2 MIMO receiving speeds higher than 600Mbps.

For a gigabit subscription, Verizon actually provisions 1024/1024 at the OLT.

Bulldog1199
Enthusiast - Level 2

Both computer hard wired and I use a ASUS gt-ax11000 with built in Speed test.  I get the same results.  I also get the same results if I put the fios wifi6 router in front of my ASUS router.  

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you directly connect an Ethernet cable between your computer and the ONT, and run the speed test again? Make sure to turn off any QoS policies to ensure maximum throughput.

Bulldog1199
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just did. I get the same results. If I test to the fios router with their test it gives me 900 900 maybe a bit higher.   But every standard test I run does not give me that result. I know I’m never going to see the max speed of 1024/1024 but on a hard wired connection I should be at 90 percent or so or it should be somewhere close to symmetrical. The testing sites I use are all less than 20to 30 ms ping time.  I’m serious thinking of switch to Comcast.  On a whim just to see if it was my router I took it to my friends house and installed at his house and tested it.  He has the high speed Comcast plan and I was at 95 percent of the advertised speed and repeatable to several different test servers. I am not unreasonable but I’m only getting 60 to 65 percent of the service I’m paying for   If I pay for something I expect something even if I never use it to its capacity 

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

From the technical perspective, Verizon speed test records the highest "instantaneous" speed in a given period of time. Your GPON line might be saturated and the OLT is only able to transfer at gigabit speed for splits of seconds from time to time. A GPON line from the CO is shared among 32 or more customers. The total throughput of a GPON line is 2.5G/1.2G, if there are 3 gigabit users on a single GPON line, nobody will get gigabit constantly. I recommend you to ask a service representative to check the saturation of your GPON line. If your GPON line is indeed saturated, your ONT might need to be migrated to a separate GPON line or the line techs from your local CO would need to pull a new line.

If you never use a gigabit subscription to its full capacity, I recommend you to downgrade to 500 or 300Mbps. My household started at 100/100, then 940/880 was cheaper in 2017, then now 500/500 on Mix and Match.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hi Cang,

Is 500 a current offering? 🤔

In Massachusetts, the choices are 200, 400 & Gig. 

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is a de facto 500/500, labeled as 400/400. In the AMS, the OLT is provisioned at 500/500.