Firewall rule cuts speed in half
starmaster
When I create a "Parental Control" rule to limit internet access on a specific PC my speed goes from 20/20 to 9/8. If I delete the rule the speed goes back to normal.
0 Likes
Re: Firewall rule cuts speed in half
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Was that computer that you added your computer or another computer?
0 Likes
starmaster
It was a different computer.
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Ok.

Can you tell me what the rule is based upon? Is it based upon the IP address or Mac Address of the computer? Or something else?
0 Likes
Searay90

I have experienced the same issue when I set a parental rule, but my speed goes down to a crawl.   FIOS 15/5 service.    I manually assign IP's to the kids computers, then use the IP address's to build the rules around.    I have tried just using set time blocks (without web address blocks), and just certain web address blocks (with no time restrictions)  and either way all the PC's at home come to a crawl when accessing the internet (even those with no rules on thier IP address).    I gave up a after a few weeks when I finally realized the connection between having rules and the slow speed and deleted the rules all together to keep the internet speed up.

Has anyone come up with a solution.    I have the actiontec router that is black and silver (not the first generation actiontec that was a huge black brick).

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend
I ran into issues with this also contacting Asia Pacific Network Information Centre (APNIC) frequently when making DNS queries. It is almost like the parental controls contacts someone in Asia to check web sites. When I enable logging connections on the firewall, I would see very strange traffic, I decided to use software, and can the router idea. Why in the world would I want to hit the Asia Pacific Network to check parental controls?
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
[quote]
I ran into issues with this also contacting Asia Pacific Network Information Centre (APNIC) frequently when making DNS queries. It is almost like the parental controls contacts someone in Asia to check web sites. When I enable logging connections on the firewall, I would see very strange traffic, I decided to use software, and can the router idea. Why in the world would I want to hit the Asia Pacific Network to check parental controls?
[/quote]

Let us try to isolate the issue, if you have not already...

For example: If there was no image being displayed on a monitor of a computer...

One of the first things, someone would to like to know if the power is on to the monitor.

If the power is not even on to the monitor, they might want to know if the monitor is even plugged into the power supply (Wall jack / UPS / Surge Protector).

If the power is on to the monitor.. Then they might want to check the video card cable, to be sure one end is plugged into the computer and the other end is plugged into the monitor.

If the video cables are plugged in at both ends: They might want to know what happens if you disconnect the monitor in question and plug in a monitor that you know that works.

If switching monitors (the one is question and the one that you know that works on another computer) does not display an image on the screen, then the issue is something about the computer.

If switching monitors does display an image on the screen, then they know there is something wrong about the monitor in question.

This example could go on and on, but I rather not...

So in your case, try turning off the parental controls and watch the logs in the firewall.

If you have already tried to "isolate" the parental controls and you are seeing that/those IP address in the logs, that is an interesting question. And please tell me if you have "isolated the parental controls".
0 Likes