Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.

Fix Netflix or We Will Cancel Fios

LeeChadeayne
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Fix Netflix or We Will Cancel Fios

Message 11 of 61
(2,430 Views)

What do you do about the high cancellation fee? I think it's something we should fight, as Verizon is not delivering the expected service. But it's not only that, all my calls and pleas to them go nowhere. I can spend half an afternoon on voice mail, and now and then talk with someone who has no expertise and no answers. They blame Netflix. They blame my equipment, the sell me a higher speed (presently 25/50), but they don't fix it.

Namronorman
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 12 of 61
(2,417 Views)

@LeeChadeayne wrote:

What do you do about the high cancellation fee? I think it's something we should fight, as Verizon is not delivering the expected service. But it's not only that, all my calls and pleas to them go nowhere. I can spend half an afternoon on voice mail, and now and then talk with someone who has no expertise and no answers. They blame Netflix. They blame my equipment, the sell me a higher speed (presently 25/50), but they don't fix it.

I wish I had an answer for you - I'm still trying to figure that out myself. I know going forward, I'll refuse to enter into a two year contract. I've been a Verizon FiOS customer for close to 5 years now and had you asked me a year ago if a two year contract with them is fine, I would have said yes. Today? No way.

db909
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 13 of 61
(2,366 Views)

Agreed, this is getting old.

pyrebyte
Contributor
Contributor

Message 14 of 61
(2,090 Views)

Not a dime of my money until netflix works. .

SoNi67
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor

Message 15 of 61
(2,057 Views)

I posted my experience in another post, but here it goes:

In Internet Explorer, start netflix. Don't maximize the screen, leave the IE top bar visible. Play a show.

Click the image.

Press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+D in the same time. This brings up the "details" window".

Look at "Buffering speed". I get maximum 1750kbps.

My friend down the street, has Cox. Both have 25/5 connections (based on speedtest.net), both PC's are hardwired to routers. 

Same time (7:30PM), same shows as me (we are on the phone) he gets 3000 kbps. That's true 720P content.

That's the proof the IN MY AREA (SE Virginia, Hampton Roads)  FiOS throtles down netflix.

drago757
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 16 of 61
(2,048 Views)

I am a long time customer and I have a almost the largest package with Fios. If they dont stop Throttling NETFLIX I AM GOING TO CANCEL. This unacceptable and needs to be fixed now!!!!!

loyalnomore
Contributor
Contributor

Message 17 of 61
(2,041 Views)

Please restore Netflix speed or I will be forced to cancel - I recently upgraded to higher speed only for Netflix access and without it I don't have any use for such high speed and high cost connection.

SteveVi
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor

Message 18 of 61
(2,035 Views)

I've been a FiOS customer evet since it hit our town in 2006.  Up until a few weeks ago I had 20Mbps down / 5 Mbps up service and all worked ver well with Netflix.  I "upgraded" my Telephone/TV/Internet a couple of weeks ago anf moved up to 50Mbps down/25Mbps down service and my Netliix streaming has sucked **bleep** since.  If I try to watch any Netflix content after 7:00PM I'm experiencing HORRIBLE video quality akin to bad VCR up conversions.  My Oppo BP-103 Bluray player reports streaming bandwidth ranging from 288Kbps to 384Kbps on Netflix "SuperHD" streams--unacceptable.  These same streams look pristine during non-peak hours.  SpeedTest.net reports speeds of over 40Mbps while streaming Netflix during primetime so it's not a bandwidth issue on my end.  Also, Amazon Instant always looks fine regardless of time of day. 

Verizon is definitely doing something to screw with the Netflix steams.

Next step is to file a case with BBB or the AG.

Not a happy Verizon customer right now.

Steve

SoNi67
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor

Message 19 of 61
(2,028 Views)

It is 9:20PM and the buffering speed dropped to 560 kbps.

This is ridiculous!

sparky57
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 20 of 61
(1,967 Views)

Agreed. This is crap. So easy for us to prove the issue exists. It is now getting media attention although so far only on tech blogs. Seems to be a battle between VZ and CDN's like Cogent. Interesting though that VZ just bought a competing CDN Edgecast and obviously VZ trying to push their own OTT partnership with Redbox Instant.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title