Flaky VOIP with Westell 9100em
travis

After adding FiOS TV last week my voip started flaking out, working sometimes, then not.  I've moved my voip box to the DMZ of the router without any change of behavior.  I can receive calls, but as soon as I do I cannot dial out for a while.

After chatting with my voip provider they said the Westell 9100em is the problem and SPI is getting in the way.  I tend to agree with that diagnosis but do not know how to fix it.  I don't know a lot about SPI, but it's frustrating the the DMZ isn't really wide open to the world.

I tried some Advanced Filtering rules to disable SPI without luck.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.  I really like my voip provider but I'm unwilling to put their box in front of the Westell router.

0 Likes
Re: Flaky VOIP with Westell 9100em
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Small/tiny NAT table.

--

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

All DSLR (dslreports.com) FAQs » Verizon Online FiOS FAQ » Networking » What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations
0 Likes
travis

Thanks for the reply but I don't think that's the problem.  I haven't read any complaints about the Westell and a tiny nat table.

0 Likes
travis

Ok, for future me, I think I've fixed this

Put voip box in dmz with static IP

add advanced filtering rules to accept any packets (turns off spi) going to voip box

add another rules to accept any packets originating from voip box

Seems to be working 

0 Likes
travis

Lame.  That didn't fix it.

Behaved differently for a bit, but it's back to the super frustrating behavior.  Time to call FiOS tech support and hope for the best.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
You did setup a static IP that is outside of the DHCP range of the router:

portforward.com -> forum -› Knowledge Base -› How to choose a Static IP address

http://forum.portforward.com/YaBB.cgi?num=1116577357

?
0 Likes
travis

Yeah, dhcp range ends at .150, voip box is static at .200

0 Likes
travis

Got hold of a Phone Power tech today that dug a little deeper and has determined that the problem is most likely on their end.  He's escalating the issue.

Excellent news.  I can continue to like the Westell 7100em.

0 Likes