Fluctuating Internet
jrojas
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having sporadic problems with the internet.  When it occurs, it seems to just hang there for 10 seconds or more and then "turn on" to load pages.  I've run speedtests from speedtest.net and get wildly different results.  Here are some of them:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/630456447.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/630469410.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/630471291.png

Notice these were all taken a few minutes apart from each other.  The Verizon router is only about 20 feet away and according to the signal on my iMac, it is always full bars.  I'm running the latest OS, Snow Leopard and using Firefox.

When I called tech support, his only answer was that wireless is not guranteed and wouldn't even suggest what could be causing it or things I can try to solve the problem!  Smiley Mad  I'm hoping to find more useful advice and help from the community.  Smiley Happy

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fluctuating Internet
jrojas
Enthusiast - Level 2

It was the wireless half.  I ran it hardwired with no problem for a week.  I then turned off Verizon's wireless off and connected my Apple Airport.  I've had no problem for three weeks and consistently receive at 20-25mbps.  I must say, however, I'm not too keen on being forced to use their router.  Clearly it is an inferior product to the airpot.  The option is nice -- and the price is right -- but I don't like that I must.  I don't know what havoc (if any) this will cause with Firewalls, but so far I'm fine.  

Thanks to everyone that offered suggestion and troubleshooting tips.  Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 For testing reasons, try connecting to the router by wire to see if the issue still exist.

#2 If the issue does not exist when using a wired connection, then we know it is a wireless issue.

#3 On the other hand: If the issue still exist on the wired connection, we know the problem is somewhere else.

a) In the router itself ?

b) Elsewhere on the net ?

0 Likes
abhi_col
Contributor - Level 3

1]how far are u from the router? 15-20 feet should be ok

and make sure that your laptop doesn't fall in the radio shadow. radio shadow means the antennae on your router only broadcasts signal in circular rings from the antennae. the antennae will never broadcast signal from its tip so the whole area on the tip of the antennae falls in a shadow.

For example, if your router is in basement and your laptop is on first floor and if the antennae points directly upwards towards the laptop, the imac may have problems connecting.

2]make sure ur router is not near any electronics like TV, phone, microwave oven etc. it interferes with the router signal.

3]if u still have problems, post it here and i will teach u how to change channels on ur router.

Please do speed tests on speedtest.verizon.net. The traffic on other speedtest websites is not controlled by verizon.

0 Likes
jrojas
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the replies. 

The router is indeed close to a television.  So was my prior router, but it was a different manufacturer.  I moved the router and will be monitoring it for the next few days.  I'll post the results.

0 Likes
jrojas
Enthusiast - Level 2

Nope, the TV was not it.  Smiley Sad

I moved the router and the sporadic service continues.  I did notice that when it occurs, the internet and wireless lights flash like mad.  It even happened while on a laptop just 7' away from the router.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Besides your Mac, do you have any other computers?

For example: Windows, Unix/Linux - based, game consoles?

#2 What is the exact brand, model, and hardware version of the router?

For example: (Brand) Actiontec, (Model) MI-424-WR, (Hardware) Verison C.

0 Likes
jrojas
Enthusiast - Level 2

I do have a laptop, Xbox, and PS3, but I'm the only one who uses them and keep them off when not in use.  I don't think they're causing any traffic that will slow it down.  The brand and model of the router is: Actiontec, MI424-WR Rev. 3.

BTW: I appreciate everyone's patience in helping to solve this.

0 Likes
abhi_col
Contributor - Level 3

So, now is it currently intermittant connection or low speeds?

0 Likes
jrojas
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's always been slow speed, but it just seems to hang there for a while and then after waiting, it has a moment where it works and loads the page.  It's happening now, so I ran another speedtest.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/644303542.png

I also ran Verizon's FIOS speedtest and received worse results: 2.131mb download.

I don't know if it means anything, but the ping according to speedtest.net is higher than usual.  

I've been trying to avoid connecting it via an ethernet cable, but I may have to.  A 25' cable from best buy is like $30 and I'll have a bright orange cable cutting across a high traffic room.  What I know for sure is I did not have this problem until switching to Verizon.  When it works, it's great, but for these moments, it is incredibly frustrating.

0 Likes