Forced to pay $200.00 fee because Verizon didn't provide service at new location
nknelson5
Enthusiast - Level 1

Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000149 EndHTML:0000004287 StartFragment:0000000199 EndFragment:0000004253 StartSelection:0000000199 EndSelection:0000004253 ATTENTION: VERIZON makes use of ambiguous  contract language in order to confuse customer and collect early termination fees.  I was charged $200.00 because Verizon did not have service where I was relocating.  STAY AWAY from any contracts or any new service agreements with Verizon as they purposely craft their contracts to be misleading.  

Yesterday morning, I called Verizon to transfer my service to my new residence.  The representative said that would be no problem and asked for my new address.  When she searched my new address, she advised me that Verizon did not provide service at that location.  After talking about the need to therefore cancel my service because Verizon was unable to provide service at my new address, I was told I would need to pay a $200.00 “Early Termination Fee.”  When I inquired what this was about, I was told it was because I was cancelling service.  I reiterated that I had called to transfer service and that it was Verizon who was unable to provide service.  She said that that did not matter as I had signed a 2 year contract.  I agreed saying that I had signed a 2 year contract and thus, that is why I wanted to transfer service.  After speaking with that representative, and then her supervisor, I was told that I would get a call back to discuss this further with someone in position to discuss this in more detail.  After not being able to get in contact with the supervisor, I called Verizon back again.

I was put through to the customer complaint department and I explained my case – that I had wanted to transfer service and that Verizon was telling me that they could not provide service at my new location.  The representative shared with me the contract that was part of the 2-year agreement and as we walked through it I tried to point out that no where in the contract does it state that “transfering” service equates “terminating” service.  She advised me that per paragraph 10, section 2, ( https://my.verizon.com/central/vzc.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=vzc_help_policies&id=TOS ) it stated, “
If you terminate Service at your location, your existing Term Plan cannot be carried over to a new Service location.”

I explained to her that this was news to me as when I asked to transfer service there was no indication from the original representative that this would be a violation of my contract.  The representative stated that it is Verizon’s policy that when an individual signs up for a contract, they are signing up their LOCATION and not the actual service.  I asked the representative where in the contract it says this and she said that this should be evident by paragraph 10, section 2.  I said that this was not made clear and I believed that was purposeful in order to confuse the consumer in order to receive more profit.  I also explained that NO WHERE in the contract does it equate “transfering” service with “terminating” service.  She said that she agreed but was unable to waive the $200.00.

So, I had to cancel my service and was forced to pay a $200.00 fee because Verizon was not able to provide service where I was moving to.  I believe that Verizon was purposely deceptive in the crafting of their contract language knowing that they would be able to receive much more profit because it was able to corner their customers.  I feel that this is criminal and that $200.00 was stolen from my family and I all because Verizon was not able to meet their end of the deal.

Do NOT sign a contract with Verizon or you will pay.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Forced to pay $200.00 fee because Verizon didn't provide service at new location
nknelson5
Enthusiast - Level 1

@Telcoguru: Yes, you are right, I should've read the contract in its entirety.  Then again, do you read every contract in its entirety?  Second, they make the point to tell you that you can transfer service.  It's one thing to decide to cancel service when I'm moving and don't want to take advantage of Verizon service and it's another to be forced to cancel the service because Verizon can't uphold their end of the deal.

My point is that when you sign up for service you aren't told that you are signing up your location.  By saying that you can transfer service, etc. the consumer is left with the impression that they are purchasing a service whereever they end up.  Verizon should be more clear and upfront with customers.  Because, yes, as you mentioned, I would've signed up for month-to-month.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Forced to pay $200.00 fee because Verizon didn't provide service at new location
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

I do not understand why you are upset with Verizon because you didn't read your terms of service agreement when you signed up for service. You could have chosen month to month service instead but you didn't do that either. So why is it Verizon's fault and not your own that you didn't use due diligence.

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

Verizon like other ISPs gives big discounts to acquire new customers.  VISA gift cards, a reduction of the monthly fee for 12-24 months etc etc.  If you leave early and can't fulfill the contract you have to pay a penalty.   The ISP wants to recoup the upfront discount that they will not be paid back when a customer decides to cancel early in the contract.

It really doesn’t matter whether you are moving across the street, to Guatemala, or Antarctica. What does matter is that you are moving to an area that your ISP doesn’t serve and usually is not allowed to. They would love to continue the relationship, provide service, and bill you for service, but YOUR action has created a situation where they can’t.

0 Likes
nknelson5
Enthusiast - Level 1

@Telcoguru: Yes, you are right, I should've read the contract in its entirety.  Then again, do you read every contract in its entirety?  Second, they make the point to tell you that you can transfer service.  It's one thing to decide to cancel service when I'm moving and don't want to take advantage of Verizon service and it's another to be forced to cancel the service because Verizon can't uphold their end of the deal.

My point is that when you sign up for service you aren't told that you are signing up your location.  By saying that you can transfer service, etc. the consumer is left with the impression that they are purchasing a service whereever they end up.  Verizon should be more clear and upfront with customers.  Because, yes, as you mentioned, I would've signed up for month-to-month.

0 Likes