Forcing TV or Home phone just to upgrade
smclaren1

I would like to step up my Fios to 35/35 from 25/25 however I'm not allowed , I'm forced to take either TV which cant beat my Directv in progamming or image quality or take a "landline" . It's 2012 , who has a landline ? really , everyone in the house has a Verizon smartphone , landlines are as obsolete as TV Guides and the Yellow Pages.... I need to check  FCC regs , if a product is offered as a bundle it should be able to be available a'la carte.

I 've talked to two supervisors , 1 gets it and wants to help , another who couldn't give a {word filter avoidance} and Travis in customer service who assures me he knows mre than any Supervisor

Steve in Huntington Beach

0 Likes
Re: Forcing TV or Home phone just to upgrade
minded
Contributor - Level 1

This doesn't sound right.  I just started an order for fios internet alone online (way to expensive unbundled, by the way).  I know the bundle is necessary for DSL, but not for FIOS.

Not that it's right, but I can get how they wouldn't want to help you upgrade your service.  That person probably gets paid on commission.

Have you tried upgrading online?

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

In my area 35Mbps/35Mbps has always required TV service or Phone service from what I've seen. Everyone who doesn't have either service is at 25/25. Maybe things have changed but until I have FiOS available to me I can't see the actual packages available to me.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounded strange to me ... but I went to the website and acted as if I wanted to configure new service and the 35/35 internet option disappears if you don't bundle either TV or Phone service.  With that said however, it appears that if you bundle 35/35 with basic TV (local channels only), the cost comes out the same as 35/35 itself (or if I added wrong, $5 more per month) would have been if you could have ordered it that way (applying the 24 month 2-year contract discount you get of $5 for doing it online).

So maybe the way to view it is ... you get 35/35 internet and local channel TV for free or a small fee (since it's local channels which are distributed in clear QAM, you don't need to rent any STB's or even connect up the coax to the TV for that matter -- although a creative person might drop the local channels package from DirectTV and just use those which come from Vz.