Fried Modem--at least 2 days to replace!?!
CHRISTIEJH

I expect this will be deleted shortly after it is posted, but I am lodging a complaint with Verizon.

My FiOS wireless modem fried at 6PM last night after 2 years of dependable service.  I accept that thedse things happen and the tech rep ordered a replacement right away. However, my family is now without an internet connection for at least 2 days (and the tech rep hinted that this was the best case scenario) while we await the replacement to be shipped via UPS. 

I called back and asked if there was a location where I could go and pick up a new modem in order to get back online--they referred me to 2 stores that were each a 30 minute drive away (but they did caution me to call first).  I called the stores and both told me that they NEVER carry these modems in stock and can't understand why the call centers keep sending clients to them.

Just thought I'd pass this information along.  ANd I hope that the administrator will at least forward my complaint to management before deleting it.

0 Likes
Re: Fried Modem--at least 2 days to replace!?!
VZ_Brian
Contributor - Level 2

Hi there.  I'm sorry about your frustration, very understandable.  I do have one point and a question.  First, depending on your setup, you may be able to get online without the router (temporarily).  If you have an Ethernet cable going into the WAN port on the back of your router, that would mean that you can bypass your router and connect that cable directly to either a PC or another router.  If you do not have an Ethernet cable in the WAN port, than you are fed by MoCA technology and you would need our router (or similar device) to get online. 

When you say your router "fried", what do you mean?  If it is a power problem, it's possible that the power cord needs to be replaced.  While it is certainly up to you, if that is the case, you do have the ability to purchase a compatible transformer from an electronic store (Radio Shack, etc.)  The way to tell if the power cord is the trouble is to perform something called the "flicker" test.  Plug everything in as normal.  Notice the green light on the transformer.  Keep your eye on the light while you flick the power button (on the back of the router) to the OFF/ON position.  When you flick the power button, does the light get brighter/dimmer?  If so, the issue is with the transformer.   If not, then you will need the new router. 

Lastly, if you were shipped a new router today, they usually ship overnight and it should arrive by tomorrow.  If you message me your info, I can look into that for you.   Hope this helps. 

0 Likes
CHRISTIEJH

Thanks for your reply.  It is the modem itself that is fried.  The computer that is connected via the Ethernet cable is also unable to connect.  On the face of the wireless modem (I'm at my office not my home right now, and can't connect anyway from home) the lights are all flashing quickly and are red.  Resetting the modem (or turning it off for a few minutes) did not change it--in fact, pushing the reset button with a paper clip and holding it didn't even cause the lights to go off, thus my feeling that the unit is fried.

I'll try the "flicker test" tonight when I get home.

I was issued a tracking number last night but UPS still doen't recognize it so I'm hoping it will get processed and shipped today.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Actually the device is a router and not a modem. If your ONT has a CAT5 Cable running to the router, almost any router would work for Internet access. I prefer having CAT5 Ethernet and Coax running to my router from the ONT just in case your situation happens. FIOS TV does need the Verizon supplied router with MOCA, for the TV service to work properly, and Verizon can not, and will not support user supplied routers, but I keep an extra just in case. Verizon used to be able to turn on the Ethernet port in the ONT while you wait, but now I believe it takes a work order. But under special circustances you may convence them to switch it while you are on the phone. If you are not the tech type it is best to wait for your new router so Verizon can assist you with installation and trouble shooting.

Oh another thing. It has to be a pretty bad posting to get deleted. As you have seen the Verizon employees and administrators do monitor these forums and are more than willing to help. Smiley Happy

Message Edited by prisaz on 08-25-2009 06:24 PM
0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
The DSL modems do not come from Verizon. They are drop shipped from the vendor that is why they take a couple of days to get there. I actually keep a spare that I picked up on e-bay for $20 in case mine goes.
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Telcoguru wrote:
The DSL modems do not come from Verizon. They are drop shipped from the vendor that is why they take a couple of days to get there. I actually keep a spare that I picked up on e-bay for $20 in case mine goes.

The OP said it was FiOS.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Sorry. Not use to new layout. I was use to seeing DSL on the left side and Fios on the right.

0 Likes