From MAC to PC Connection
tracef1

I am currently hooked up to FIOS internet (via conventional Ethernet) with my desktop Mac.

For work-related purposes; I will soon be purchasing a laptop PC.

My question: Will I have to go through an entirely new addressing-process for the PC laptop to work out of the same wall location as my desktop Mac?

And if so, will my desktop Mac still be recognized by FIOS if I have to address the new PC???

In a nutshell, my desire is simply to be able to switch back and forth between the PC and the Mac as far as the internet is concerned without compromising either one.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: From MAC to PC Connection
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

You should have no issue at all.

The FiOS router can supply DHCP addresses to PC's, Macs, and many other devices all at the same time.  You'll be able to run both computers, or either one, without taking any special action.

edit:  Just re-read your post and I'm not sure what you mean by "the same wall location."  

If you have Ethernet running to where you'll be using the computers in a different location than where the router is located then you'll have to either a) plug in one computer, the PC or the Mac, at a time, or b)  get an inexpensive switch, connect the wall outlet to one port on the switch and the two computers to any other port.

In that case, you'd basically just be splitting the Ethernet connection but you still wouldn't have to do anything special to get both computers to work.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

You should have no issue at all.

The FiOS router can supply DHCP addresses to PC's, Macs, and many other devices all at the same time.  You'll be able to run both computers, or either one, without taking any special action.

edit:  Just re-read your post and I'm not sure what you mean by "the same wall location."  

If you have Ethernet running to where you'll be using the computers in a different location than where the router is located then you'll have to either a) plug in one computer, the PC or the Mac, at a time, or b)  get an inexpensive switch, connect the wall outlet to one port on the switch and the two computers to any other port.

In that case, you'd basically just be splitting the Ethernet connection but you still wouldn't have to do anything special to get both computers to work.

0 Likes
tracef1

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. Smiley Wink

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

You're welcome.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@tracef wrote:

I am currently hooked up to FIOS internet (via conventional Ethernet) with my desktop Mac.

For work-related purposes; I will soon be purchasing a laptop PC.

My question: Will I have to go through an entirely new addressing-process for the PC laptop to work out of the same wall location as my desktop Mac?

And if so, will my desktop Mac still be recognized by FIOS if I have to address the new PC???

In a nutshell, my desire is simply to be able to switch back and forth between the PC and the Mac as far as the internet is concerned without compromising either one.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

If you don't have a switch then it would make sense for you to connect the laptop to the VZ router via wireless.  Then you could have both your machines online at the same time and also be able to connect from one to the other for data transfers etc.

0 Likes