Frontier quantum gateway reporting old firmware
ellkell
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently got fios 150speed internet and tv.  I wanted to buy my own router so i purchased a fios router - the quantum gateway router G1100 from Amazon.  It arrives as a Frontier branded router.

The tech who installed FIOS said there should be no problem with it.  He installed it, and everything works, but the router does not seem to appear on the My Fios page.  Also, on one of the pages in the My Fios website, it reports that I should update the firmware in my router.

Is there anyway to get this router recognized by FIOS and for FIOS to update its firmware?

Im a bit confused about this.

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Frontier quantum gateway reporting old firmware
jonjones1
Legend

If you notice many who posted about the work around reported the router reverted.

i read your posts almost daily. You one smart cookie 🍪 

best bet is to buy a real Quantum router or another far superior one. No sense playing around with those Frontier routers (old Verizon) 

i had to tell that other poster over and over and over on dsl reports about Quantum routers not being actiontec routers. Sometimes it really gets to me. Then writes me back saying I was correct. 

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Typically, once a G1100 router has Frontier firmware on it, Verizon won't be able to update the firmware on it. There's a thread on DSLReports here about trying to get Verizon firmware re-installed to the router, which will fix this problem.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31932735-Networking-Buying-a-used-Verizon-FIOS-router-will-it-be-d...

With luck, your router will have a copy of the Verizon firmware still in the restore directory.

jonjones1
Legend

If you notice many who posted about the work around reported the router reverted.

i read your posts almost daily. You one smart cookie 🍪 

best bet is to buy a real Quantum router or another far superior one. No sense playing around with those Frontier routers (old Verizon) 

i had to tell that other poster over and over and over on dsl reports about Quantum routers not being actiontec routers. Sometimes it really gets to me. Then writes me back saying I was correct. 

johncap523

The Frontier router and Verizon router are one in the same and the current model whether you get it from Verizon or eBay. They're G1100s. I just bought one and although it is Verizon branded it has Frontier firmare on it and works perfectly. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

A number of people have reported having issues with using Frontier branded routers on FIOS network.

Firmware is not the same. Each company develops their own after the sale.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@johncap523 wrote:

The Frontier router and Verizon router are one in the same and the current model whether you get it from Verizon or eBay. They're G1100s. I just bought one and although it is Verizon branded it has Frontier firmare on it and works perfectly. 

Impossible. It’s a known fact when Frontier took over the Fios in certain areas they changed the firmware on the Verizon Quantum router to work on their network.

like the below poster stated it is not the same firmware.

you must have a quantum gateway that was not flashed with Frontier firmware and that is why it functions.

0 Likes
GeezerRock

Yes, the firmware is different but the router functions just fine - the only items that do not function are remote access via the myfios app and stats/info about the router showing up via the TV GUI.  That's it, otherwise the router functions the same.  To state that it flat out doesn't function with Verizon FiOS is incorrect.

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes