Frustrated Mac User
Bigocubfan40
I recently upgraded from Verizon's DSL service to FIOS.  FIOS works great on my PCs, but I have two MacBooks that I connected wirelessly.  From day 1 I have had problems getting a consistent connection with them.  Some days it works great and other day, performance is very slow to non-existence.  I have contacted Verizon and have gotten mixed signals.  One support person told me that Macs aren't support on FIOS, another had me download an app and another told me to purchase the new Apple Airport.  HELP!  I love the service on PCs, but my wife and kid want connectivity on their Macs.  Anyone got any ideas?
0 Likes
Re: Frustrated Mac User
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Besides the Apple Airport, do you have any other router? For example the Actiontec..
0 Likes
Re: Frustrated Mac User
zachyzissou
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you know what your doing, heres my recommendation.

Get a NIM-100 from the FiOS guys or on ebay one of the two. (Assuming you don't have the NIM already, its the little black box)

Then i highly recommend the AirPort Extreme for your router.

After you have these, what you'll do is plug the Coax cable into the NIM. Plug the Cat5 into the AirPort then run another Cat5 to the NIM and you'll be set. You might have to reset the router every now and then for VOD to work. Though this is how i'm set up and the speed is wonderful.

Hope i helped!

0 Likes