Frustrated with Verizon Customer Service - Attempt to Purchase Modem Rental
NathanWey

So, today after being a loyal Verizon FIOS customer for over 2 1/2 years I decided to purchase the modem that I've been spending $9.99/mo. Over that period of time, I have spent over $250. I requested that a portion of that rent be applied to the purchase of a modem. I was informed that this would be impossible. I was then told that I could purchase a new modem for $150. with a $10 shipping and handling charge. After some protest, I was informed that they would refund the $10 charge at a later date if I went through with the purchase. I am extremely dissatisfied with the outcome of this interaction.

Another point is that I am finally free of their contract and the agent attempted to sell me a new 2 year contract with the same speed internet (but I wouldn't have to pay to rent the modem anymore) for $70/mo. when I am currently paying $40/mo (plus $10/mo. for the modem rental). How ridiculous. Shame no one will be able to resolve any of this. Verizon sucks, but Fios is the best. I wish there was a way to get Fios without having to deal with Verizon.

Now I'm looking at purchasing the modem by other means. Any recommendations?

I found the same modem on ebay for about a third (and free shipping) of what Verizon was asking.

0 Likes
Re: Frustrated with Verizon Customer Service - Attempt to Purchase Modem Rental
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Couple of things:

1) Verizon does not use modems. Only routers.

2) If you have internet only or TV service without Verizon stb, you can use any router you wish. Would just need to be able to run Ethernet cable from ont to location where router is located.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

As the other replyer stated, you can just get any router like Netgear or Asus etc. and then you do away with the rental fee of $10 however if you purchase a Fios Quantum router make sure it is not a Frontier version of it. The Frontier router will not work with your service. 

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

For the actiontec MI424wr if you have a copy of the Verizon firmware, it is possible, but not simple, to force it to replace the Frontier firmware.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@tns2wrote:

For the actiontec MI424wr if you have a copy of the Verizon firmware, it is possible, but not simple, to force it to replace the Frontier firmware.

No you don’t want to mess with the firmware for any reason.

either the person buys the proper router from amazon or any other company that is fully a Verizon branded router, or a Asus, Netgear or other available router usable on Fios. Not a Frontier branded Quantum.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jonjoneswrote:

@tns2wrote:

either the person buys the proper router from amazon or any other company that is fully a Verizon branded router, or a Asus, Netgear or other available router usable on Fios. Not a Frontier branded Quantum.

Many of us Frontier users have a Verizon branded router.  Yes they eventually (almost a year later) pushed out a Frontier firmware.  Many available routers on places like ebay (and make sure they are really owned from whoever you get it) are such.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@tns2wrote:

@jonjoneswrote:

@tns2wrote:

Many of us Frontier users have a Verizon branded router.  Yes they eventually (almost a year later) pushed out a Frontier firmware.  Many available routers on places like ebay (and make sure they are really owned from whoever you get it) are such.

The Frontier versions were being and still are being sold on eBay and Amazon and Ioffer as being usable on Verizon Fios this as well as stolen and knockoffs are quite common. It is as such I never tell a user to modify a firmware themselves.

they are better off buying a Netgear etc. over that crap Quantum anyway.