Frustrating IP assignment problem with Quantum router
eryeal2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a lot of connected devices - both ethernet and wireless - probably over 30 (lots of smart home stuff).  I've been having very frustrating problems the last few days, and after many hours of troubleshooting, it seems like the Quantum router, once it gets over a certain amount of connected devices, is having problems assigning IP addresses to devices.

It all started when the TV's wouldn't work one morning last week (4) .. rebooting the boxes resulted in the inability to get past the network connection.   Restarted everything, and still the same problem.   So I ended up disconnecting everything from the Quantum router (ethernet and wireless), and the TV's came up right away as they were the only thing connected through the Coax.   Then I started reconnecting everything, and there would always be some group of devices that wouldn't work (couldn't connect to the internet), and it would seemingly change.

After several attempts at complete restarts, it seems like the initial devices connect fine, but as more devices connect, they start getting assigned the IP 192.168.168.100 (all of them), and thus not work.   Many are set up as static on the router, but it doesn't help.   Whichever devices are the last ones to connect, they start to fail and get assigned the above IP address.

If I reverse it and connect everything, then for example reboot a TV box, it won't be able to connect (presumably for the same reasons - it is now the last thing to attempt a connection and isn't being able to get IP resolved?).

Any thoughts?   Is the Quantum router just getting overloaded?  Any solutions?  Thanks!

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Frustrating IP assignment problem with Quantum router
Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

ALong with this issue you are having do you run any additional network equipment? (Apple Time Capsule/Network Extender/Mesh Network Routers/ETC.)

Also I know it was posted before in a different form but I included this as well:

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/and-where-can-i-find-the-max-number-of-wireless-user-on-...

Another thing I could recommend (if you haven't already) is make sure Home Network Protection was not enabled at some point for you. I know it can cause issues that can transcend single routers because it is account level.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

@eryeal2 wrote:

I have a lot of connected devices - both ethernet and wireless - probably over 30 (lots of smart home stuff).  I've been having very frustrating problems the last few days, and after many hours of troubleshooting, it seems like the Quantum router, once it gets over a certain amount of connected devices, is having problems assigning IP addresses to devices.

It all started when the TV's wouldn't work one morning last week (4) .. rebooting the boxes resulted in the inability to get past the network connection.   Restarted everything, and still the same problem.   So I ended up disconnecting everything from the Quantum router (ethernet and wireless), and the TV's came up right away as they were the only thing connected through the Coax.   Then I started reconnecting everything, and there would always be some group of devices that wouldn't work (couldn't connect to the internet), and it would seemingly change.

After several attempts at complete restarts, it seems like the initial devices connect fine, but as more devices connect, they start getting assigned the IP 192.168.168.100 (all of them), and thus not work.   Many are set up as static on the router, but it doesn't help.   Whichever devices are the last ones to connect, they start to fail and get assigned the above IP address.

If I reverse it and connect everything, then for example reboot a TV box, it won't be able to connect (presumably for the same reasons - it is now the last thing to attempt a connection and isn't being able to get IP resolved?).

Any thoughts?   Is the Quantum router just getting overloaded?  Any solutions?  Thanks!

Lots of information except you did not say what speed tier you are.

well let's tackle the first issue with routers is you must go into the router settings and make sure you set the number of devices that can be connected as the range on default can be set as low as 25 ip assignments.

if you up the ip assignments say to 40, 50, or higher the ip address range would be something like 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.52 (50 ip addresses assigned to/for connection to your router (network) please remember the greater number of devices on your network the less speed to each device. 

If you are provisioned at some ridiculous low bandwidth like 50/50 then your problem above is made worse. Low bandwidth coupled with too few ip assignments with slower speeds equals disaster.

read your manual and find the section on increasing your ip allocation.

0 Likes
jrCon

I begun experiencing connectivity issues like you in the last few weeks. I've had to regularly reset my Quantum router at least once daily to restore the device to operational use.  When the issue appears, the symptoms follow a predictable pattern:

1. The WI-FI and LAN network appears to be active and operational, however the connected devices (ony a 7 devices total on my network (4 lan, 3 wireless)) functions normally on the LAN/Wireless network for about 19 hours / 1440 Minutes.

2. After about 19 hours, when the devices DHCP IP leases expire -- the devices hang on the network waiting for an IP Address to be assigned by the DHCP server on the router.

I suspect there was a recent change to the Quantum router within the last 2-4 weeks that is causing the issue. I am still researching the problem on my end. Here are logs (MAC ADDR and device names obfuscated) from the router which cooberates my issue. If anyone else is experiencing thie issue, please chime in!

Also, please review and post your router system logs from when your issue appeared so we can compare our logs.

May 7 18:06:02 2017 dhcpd info<158> commit_leases: unable to commit: No space left on device
May 7 18:05:59 2017 dhcpd info<158> DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.1.152 (192.168.1.1) from AA:AA:AA:AA:AA:AA (android-aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa) via br-lan: database update failed
May 7 18:05:59 2017 dhcpd info<158> commit_leases: unable to commit: No space left on device
May 7 18:05:59 2017 dhcpd info<158> 192.168.1.152 is leased for 86400 seconds, renew in 0 seconds, rebind in 0 seconds
May 7 18:05:59 2017 dhcpd info<158> DHCPOFFER on 192.168.1.152 to AA:AA:AA:AA:AA:AA (android-aaaaaaaaaaaa) via br-lan
May 7 18:05:59 2017 dhcpd info<158> DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.1.100 (192.168.1.1) from BB:BB:BB:BB:BB:BB via br-lan: database update failed
May 7 18:05:59 2017 dhcpd info<158> commit_leases: unable to commit: No space left on device
May 7 18:05:59 2017 dhcpd info<158> 192.168.1.100 is leased for 600 seconds, renew in 0 seconds, rebind in 0 seconds
May 7 18:05:59 2017 dhcpd info<158> DHCPOFFER on 192.168.1.100 to AA:AA:AA:AA:AA:AA via br-lan
May 7 18:05:59 2017 dhcpd info<158> DHCPDISCOVER from BB:BB:BB:BB:BB:BB via br-lan
May 7 18:05:58 2017 dhcpd info<158> DHCPDISCOVER from AA:AA:AA:AA:AA:AA via br-lan
0 Likes
War3
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am getting the same issues. 
I see a lot of DHCP Request database update failed  and commit_leases: unable to commit: No space left on device
Did you or someone from verizon figure out how to resolve this??

randy
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the same issue.  DHCP stops handing out IP's. Error messages say there is no space left on device.  I tried clearing logs to free up space, but eventually have to reboot to get it working.  Problem also, when I reboot, I loose any port forwarding I have set up and have to reload a config or reconfigure it.  Started for me a couple weeks ago.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

My Quantum router has DHCP set to 192.168.1.2-254

You can verify yours by logging in to router.
Go to My Network, Network Connections.

CLick on Network Home/Office

Then click on Settings.

Make sure network has a mask of 255.255.255.0

and DHCP is configure to give out .2-254

I can't say that even if configured properly that there isn't a bug.

DavidNDC
Enthusiast - Level 1

Did you manage to get the problem sorted? I'm having the exact same issues, same error messages in the logs and my router too does a factory reset every time I unplug it. This is my 2nd router to have the exact same issues - this one lasted a few months.

Just spent 3.5 hours on hold, ended up in a web chat with a rep who passed me off to another phone number..  Very fustrating.

0 Likes
tmembrino

I've been troubleshooting this same issue for past five days.  I see the same errors in the logs.  Reset router to defaults this morning and worked for about 12 hours before errors recurred.  I have about 50 devices that want ip addresses.   Spoke to a self declared Quantum router "expert" tonight who thought the problem was the number of dhcp clients.  He recommended setting all the hard wired devices to static IP.  I did.  Didn't work.   I need to call back tomorrow and try to get them to send a new router.  They keep insisting its fine since from their side the diagnostics show good.  I had to argue with a technical rep that just because the internet connection looks solid doesn't mean the dhcp server is ok.  She had no idea.  Frustrating.  It's seems from logs that this is a memory issues some kind.   Poking around in logs I see multiple errors of it being unable to save settings, etc.  Every reboot flushes out any changes I make (since it can't save the settings I guess). 

0 Likes
juxta
Enthusiast - Level 3

Same here. My router problems started four days ago and I've had sporadic connectivity problems every day - about 6 times so far.

I purchased my router 2 years, 3 months ago from Verizon and it had worked fine ever since. This is the first time I've experienced these DHCP/connectivity problems and I hadn't made any changes to the router settings before this problem.  I assumed the router or some component went bad so I purchased a new router from Verizon  ($158.99 with tax) which will arrive tomorrow. 

What happens: 

Two of my wired computers and all 16 wireless devices lose connectivity but my wired VPN work router (Cisco 890) retains connectivity with no issues for its connected laptop and phone. Without resetting/rebooting the router, the two wired computers regain connectivity after a few minutes but sometimes only a few wireless devices do so iniitally. The majority of my wireless devices run through the cycle of "Authenticating...", "Obtaining IP address..."  and "Failed to obtain IP address" - this cycle goes on for a few minutes as all the devices eventually regain connectivity. 

A few times after I simply unplugged the router momentarily, it hard reset itself to the default settings including the SSIDs and admin password.  Unplugging the router (or resetting with the red button) didn't always restore connectivity once the router had its two solid white lights on the front. Occasionally restarting the wireless device restored connectivity.

Repeated Error Messages in the LAN DHCP log (same as everyone else):   

commit_leases: unable to commit: No space left on device 

DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.1.161 (192.168.1.1) from (redacted): database update failed

(these two messages go hand-in-hand as timestamped with the same time down to the second)

Poking and prodding: 

I noticed all of my devices were assigned a local IP address above 192.168.1.150 so I thought to bring in the range from .2-.254 to .70-.150 just to see what happens.  Once I did that the router still provided connectivity to all the devices even though techically at that instant they all had invalid local IP addresses.  The connection list (under the IP Address Distribution setting) had some (not all) of the devices IP assignment listed as 'expired' even though they all still had connectivity.  I went as far as deleting the IP entry for my phone and it still had no problems browsing the internet. After about 30 minutes all of the device entries in the connection list were listed as 'expired' and a few have been reassigned IP addresses in the .70s. (ironically assigned sequentially, .70, .71., .72, etc. whereas before the assignment seemed more random).  Even after an hour the IP address .160 on another phone works just fine and the ping test succeeds for the "expired" connection entry (I clicked the little hourglass icon to get the ping test). That's truely odd though I noticed the ARP table has a mix of stale entries above .150 and new entries in the .70s which is probably why the connections continue with invalid DHCP IP addresses.

Now I'm getting a new error message -  DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.1.157 (redacted): unknown lease 192.168.1.157.   which seems to be a good thing considering .157 is no longer valid for DHCP.  

The router was giving out the new leases ok...  192.168.1.70 is leased for 86400 seconds, renew in 0 seconds, rebind in 0 seconds   ...until I noticed the string of errors below)

If anyone hears anything please let us know.  I'll try to follow up in a week or so. I'm going to see what this router does on it's own for assigning IP addresses and see if it still acts up with the commit errors.  

Quick Update (for a new IP address the router finally gave a DHCPACK after 9 times of giving database / commit errors):

Jan 16 05:39:53 2018dhcpdinfo<158>192.168.1.73 is leased for 86400 seconds, renew in 0 seconds, rebind in 0 seconds
Jan 16 05:39:53 2018dhcpdinfo<158>DHCPACK on 192.168.1.73 to (redacted)
Jan 16 05:39:53 2018dhcpdinfo<158>DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.1.73 (192.168.1.1) from (redacted)

Jan 16 05:39:51 2018dhcpdinfo<158>DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.1.73 (192.168.1.1) from (redacted): database update failed
Jan 16 05:39:51 2018dhcpdinfo<158>commit_leases: unable to commit: No space left on device
Jan 16 05:39:51 2018dhcpdinfo<158>192.168.1.73 is leased for 86400 seconds, renew in 0 seconds, rebind in 0 seconds
Jan 16 05:39:51 2018dhcpdinfo<158>DHCPOFFER on 192.168.1.73 to (redacted)
Jan 16 05:39:51 2018dhcpdinfo<158>DHCPDISCOVER from (redacted)

0 Likes
eryeal2
Enthusiast - Level 2

@DavidNDC wrote:

Did you manage to get the problem sorted? I'm having the exact same issues, same error messages in the logs and my router too does a factory reset every time I unplug it. This is my 2nd router to have the exact same issues - this one lasted a few months.

Just spent 3.5 hours on hold, ended up in a web chat with a rep who passed me off to another phone number..  Very fustrating.

The problem for me may have been a faulty/bad POE connector on an IP camera that was screwing the network up - I thought for sure it was the router but that may not have been the root cause. 

I did do some research and found someone with a similar issue and, coincidentally, the root cause was a faulty IP camera that was messing the router up.   I did have a camera that would sometimes act up, and after looking at it could see that on the POE connector inside that the wires weren't in very well.   I re-did the connector and ever since then, no problems with the camera or the network. 

0 Likes