Re: Frustrating IP assignment problem with Quantum router
DavidNDC
Enthusiast - Level 1

Interesting.. I have a few IP cameras too, with one of them using a POE injector (the other's are on a POE switch) I'll have to take a closer look at that and make sure mine is not frying the network..

I ended up calling in again yesterday and canceling TV and Voice service with Verizon so I could dump their router along with all their other hardware in my house. Had the tech switch the ethernet port on the ONT on and plugged in a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter which is working great so far. Upgraded the line to gigabit but apparenty a tech needs to come out next week to make that happen (at a cost of $150, **bleep**?!)

But I'll definitely take a look at the POE injector, appreciate the follow-up! 

0 Likes
eryeal2
Enthusiast - Level 2

@DavidNDC wrote:

Interesting.. I have a few IP cameras too, with one of them using a POE injector (the other's are on a POE switch) I'll have to take a closer look at that and make sure mine is not frying the network..

I ended up calling in again yesterday and canceling TV and Voice service with Verizon so I could dump their router along with all their other hardware in my house. Had the tech switch the ethernet port on the ONT on and plugged in a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter which is working great so far. Upgraded the line to gigabit but apparenty a tech needs to come out next week to make that happen (at a cost of $150, **bleep**?!)

But I'll definitely take a look at the POE injector, appreciate the follow-up! 

Yeah that is quite a coincidence, considering I use a POE injector as well.  Note that for me the problem was actually with the connector on the end that goes into the camera.    But maybe POE injectors don't play too nice with the router in the event of any issues or something like that.   But, like I said, it is definitely a strange coincidence as there aren't a ton of POE injector users out there from a residential standpoint.

0 Likes
juxta
Enthusiast - Level 3

@juxta wrote:

Same here. My router problems started four days ago and I've had sporadic connectivity problems every day - about 6 times so far.

My old router was HW rev 1.03 with shipped firmware version 01.03.02.02.  The new router is HW rev 1.04 with shipped firmware version 01.04.00.12. I installed the new router and everything has worked well so far.  No database update / commit error messages for DHCP.  All 23 devices connected with no problems.

One concern is a wired computer keeps sending a DHCPINFORM every minute or so.  Then on the advanced log, this seems to be related to adding/removing a UDP port mapping.

I'll try to do an update in a week or so.

0 Likes
tmembrino

Good to hear a new router may help.  My wife talked with Vz Tech Support again today and after walking through the problem again they eventually agreed it could be the router.  Expecting the replacement to arrive tomorrow.

If this doesn't fix the issue my next step will be to reconfigure with my own router.   I've held off since I still have Coax feed to router and will need to have Tech Support change me over to Ethernet hookup at ONT (I have a feed ready - just need them to configure their end).  Hopefully that's not as challenging a change to get them to make as I've feared.

Will post again after I install and test with new router.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@tmembrino wrote:

Good to hear a new router may help.  My wife talked with Vz Tech Support again today and after walking through the problem again they eventually agreed it could be the router.  Expecting the replacement to arrive tomorrow.

If this doesn't fix the issue my next step will be to reconfigure with my own router.   I've held off since I still have Coax feed to router and will need to have Tech Support change me over to Ethernet hookup at ONT (I have a feed ready - just need them to configure their end).  Hopefully that's not as challenging a change to get them to make as I've feared.

Will post again after I install and test with new router.

It has been stated a new router will not help. It is a fault in the firmware.

it is posted all over this forum and at http://www.dslreports.com 

0 Likes
tmembrino

I've been skeptical that this problem is specific to my router from the start and  concerned it may be a firware issue related to handling dhcp for large numbers of clients.  My network is now up to about 50 clients requesting ip addresses so I was thinking maybe the Quantum gateway isn't up to the task (which should be a concern to Verzion long term as a family can quickly get to large device counts these days).  But as I researched this issue, including the dslreports forums, this specific behavior didn't come up as a common occurrence.  Beyond this thread here I found one report on dslreports of someone dealing with dhcp assignment problems back in August 2017 and in his case a reset to factory defaults resolved it.  It seems like the primary firmware issue in discussion on dslreports right now relates to the 5ghz connection drop-offs issue.  The Vz tech support folks I talked to even mentioned that firmware problem and agreed it's not what I'm complaining about.  In my case (and I think in the case of those commenting in this thread) the dhcp errors are not isolated to 5ghz devices.  I see it happening regardless of the way the devices connect to the gateway (wired or wireless).

We'll see.  I'll give the replacement router a shot.  I have Vz TV as well and reconfiguring my network to use my own router is an option but complicates the setup since I need to maintain the Vz TV On Demand and Remote DVR function (my family use these regularly).  It can be done - just a complicated setup that I don't love. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@tmembrino wrote:

I've been skeptical that this problem is specific to my router from the start and  concerned it may be a firware issue related to handling dhcp for large numbers of clients.  My network is now up to about 50 clients requesting ip addresses so I was thinking maybe the Quantum gateway isn't up to the task (which should be a concern to Verzion long term as a family can quickly get to large device counts these days).  But as I researched this issue, including the dslreports forums, this specific behavior didn't come up as a common occurrence.  Beyond this thread here I found one report on dslreports of someone dealing with dhcp assignment problems back in August 2017 and in his case a reset to factory defaults resolved it.  It seems like the primary firmware issue in discussion on dslreports right now relates to the 5ghz connection drop-offs issue.  The Vz tech support folks I talked to even mentioned that firmware problem and agreed it's not what I'm complaining about.  In my case (and I think in the case of those commenting in this thread) the dhcp errors are not isolated to 5ghz devices.  I see it happening regardless of the way the devices connect to the gateway (wired or wireless).

We'll see.  I'll give the replacement router a shot.  I have Vz TV as well and reconfiguring my network to use my own router is an option but complicates the setup since I need to maintain the Vz TV On Demand and Remote DVR function (my family use these regularly).  It can be done - just a complicated setup that I don't love. 

You can increase the number of ip assignments manually see the attached manual for the FiOS Quantum Gateway https://www.verizon.com/cs/groups/public/documents/adacct/fios-qgr-userguide140925.pdf

the router normally has a good number already set up. Something like 250 which you are never going to allocate. Unless you are running a custom setup the default values should be enough.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend
0 Likes
tmembrino

I received a new Quantum router on Wed 1/17 and installed late that day.  Network has been running great since (now Sat 1/20).  No ip assignment issues from the router for any of my devices and the router dhcp log is clean - no errors.

Looks like in my case the Quantum router replacement fixed the problem.

0 Likes
piby2

Hello.

I have the same problems with my Frontier router. The specs are as follows,

UI Version:Firmware VersionModel Name:Hardware Version:

UI Version:	        v1.0.210
Firmware Version	01.04.00.10-FTR
Model Name:	        FiOS-G1100
Hardware Version:	1.03

Here is a list of "symptoms", 

1) The DHCP ip addresses start from 192.168.1.150 and above.

2) The router sometimes automatically reboots once every 3-4 days at night.

3) DHCP does not work frequently (I have 15-20 devices connected).

4) LAN DHCP log shows these errors,

commit_leases: unable to commit: No space left on device

DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.1.153 (192.168.1.1) from xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (ABC) via br-lan: database update failed (mac addresses masked)

Rebooting router does not help. 

I was looking through this forum and came across this thread. I have found some workarounds after many many trial and errors, hopefully one of these will work on others too.

1) Switch off 5GHz channel, switch on only the 2.4GHz  and reboot (50% success rate)

2) Go to Advanced->Ip Address Distribution->Click on Home/Network Office.

The default "Ip Address Distribution" should be DHCP. Change it to "Disabled". Reboot. 

After reboot, again change it to DHCP. Then all devices connect. ( 99% success rate).

3) Go to Advanced->Ip Address Distribution->Click on Home/Network Office.

Change start ip and end ip from 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.254 to something different, like 192.168.1.5 and 192.168.1.235. The all devices connect. No reboot needed. (Success rate 90%)

4) If devices don't connect at first try, then use "forget network" and re-enter wifi password.

Also as soon as all devices connect, I change all the DHCP to static. Or change the lease time to maximum 43200 min(30days!) 

I have used a combination of these "hacks" and now have been living with my faulty router relatively comfortably. I bought my own router 2 years ago, so not complaining.

0 Likes